The Official Forum of The Grail Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A day in the life of Seekers

+5
Taureine
hana-suki
GarHighlander
Nero
Lord Arogandor
9 posters

Go down

A day in the life of Seekers Empty A day in the life of Seekers

Post by Lord Arogandor Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:38 pm

Dear Seekers,

To help the youngest among us and to stimulate the community, the Grail Lords -in their generosity- decided to give away several Grail Journals to Seekers who are younger than one year old and willing to share a day of their life here! At the end of the contest, the Seekers with the most interesting, well written, funny or touching day will receive a Grail Journal. So if you are such a young Seeker, grab pen and paper and start writing down your life experiences here at the Grail Lords.

Contest Rules:

• To participate you must be younger than 1 year old (your in-game account must be created AFTER 27th of April 2020).
  • Only one entry allowed per Seeker and all entries must fit the terms of service and written in decent English.
  • The diary fragment must be written by yourself and have to do one way or another with your character in The Grail Lords.
  • Journal submissions for this contest must be submitted before the end of the day, May 5th.
  • Use this forum topic to post your submissions (do not send them to Lord Arogandor in-game).
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Number of posts : 2995
Registration date : 2008-09-19

https://thegraillords.net

Taureine, mini Roos and vitasmom like this post

Back to top Go down

A day in the life of Seekers Empty Re: A day in the life of Seekers

Post by Nero Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:39 pm

Friday 30th April 2021,

Today I celebrate my 30th day as a seeker in these lands. The grail lords yet again failed to appreciate my vote of confidence in their work, oh how they tease us with sweet reward each day with chances to earn more. Anyway, with that out of the way of course I fed my chickens; no pecks yet although I have been warned my luck may run out once that lovable old fool Bandalf leaves me to my whims. Sigh~ Oh how I will miss him! I shifted my focus from these sad thoughts to other matter. I applied to join the ever so helpful Nolly for tommorows journey to the Grail Monastery, a grand keep housing the most mysterious Grail Lord of them all - one must not speak his name carelessly. Nolly had accepted and it will be my first journey out of Camaar with another seeker, pretty exciting to say the least. I had the bland bread offered through the generousity of the Camaarian soup kitchen before heading back to work on the field of hops I had offered to grow for Lady Margarite; another great helper when I was but a young pup in these lands. I go to sleep with the thoughts of soon being a proud squire of camaar and being allocated soups from the soup program another benefit I have been offered thanks to the kind patron nights of Camaar for sticking with them for 30 days.

P.S. Ed was buying beers for us all in the tavern today!

Nero
Seeker

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-04-01

Lord Arogandor, EdJenkins, mini Roos and vitasmom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GarHighlander Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:06 am

I awake and roll out of bed. Seems like happen stance now. But just over 30 days ago I was sleeping on the floor. What a difference to have a good night's sleep. My stomach growls telling me it is time to eat. I throw on some clothes and head to the Ranch. 
Henny and Plucky need to be fed. Will my chickens will have some eggs for me this morning? Henny is a gentle fowl. She lets me handle her and doesn't seem to be bothered by my touch. I check her stall. Plucky is bit more to handle. She has already left me bloody a few times this month. One more time and she may see the edge of my butcher knife sooner than later. Four eggs today. What a find! Back to the house for a filling meal that I make myself. Just having a full stomach lightens my mood! 
I have already ploughed and sowed but I still decide to go check on my field. A nice farmer down on his luck helped me get my small plot of land started. With my first harvest, we broke bread together. I hope in some way I was able to touch his life and help him back on the road of redemption. I know he touched mine. As I gauze over my plot of land, a sense of calm comes over me. What a sense of accomplishment to toil in your own field. The wheat glistens as the rays of sun bounce off of each reed. It is so majestic to watch as it ebbs and flows with each gust of wind. 
The wind is blowing from the North East today. I can always tell. The smell of the sea air gives it away. The draw of the ocean calls me. The sun is high in the sky. The field needs no tending today. I decide it is a good day to go fishing. It is always a good day to go fishing! I grab my pole and herb bag and head to the Shore. I always have my staff with me. You never know when you may encounter a creature. The trip is quick and without an incident.
There is such serenity here by the ocean. I decide to take a leisurely walk on the beach. I find some fish scales and a Fog Lillie. Some more baubles to add to my collection. Someday I find a use for them. The afternoon heat is countered by the breeze from the ocean. I find a spot by a log and grab my pole. With a flick of the wrist my line flies out of sight into the water. I am getting better at this everyday, I think to myself. Nothing to do now but relax and drift away. 
I day dream and reminisce of a more exciting time. My elusive hunt for the Elion. Five adventurous days tracking and almost killing the most elusive animal. I can still feel the adrenaline rush from that final encounter... A Tug on my pole! I quickly come back to the Shore. I reel in my catch. Two fish! I can hardly contain my joy! What a fine catch today! Do I sell them or eat them? No need to decide now.
The sun is going down now and evening is vast approaching. Time to head back to town before nightfall.
On the way home, I stop at the Academy. No better stimulation than to read a book. The librarian knows me well. With a wry smile on his face, he hands me a candle. The words bounce off the page with each flicker of the candle. I am learning to make some soup now. I can't wait for that first bowl! But the book is thick and takes time. I am over half way done and my mouth salivates with anticipation. 
Azetyth is a newer town. I feel safe here. The walk home in the dark gives me no need for concern. I get home and drop off my equipment. I admire my bounty of fish and herbs as I store them away. 
I am not tired yet and I head to the Grail Tavern. There is always a fellow Seeker willing to share conversation over a tall frothy mug of beer. MissSandy is here tonight. She was one of the first Seekers I met when I arrived. A kind soul from Camaar. But be warned, you do not want to be on the wrong side of a snowball; she has a wicked smart arm! I don't see Ed Jenkins tonight. He can always spin a fanciful yarn. Never try to out drink him, you will lose! The tavern wench delivers my beer. A quick round of hello's to my fellow patrons. The conversation flows and my mood hastens. A tip of the hat and I head for home.
Once home, I turn down the house. I lay in bed and reflect on the day. What a bounty this day has brought; eggs, fish, herbs and a field thriving with wheat. There is a routine about the day. A blessing that can't be measured by bronze or possessions. But a simple joy that comes from just being here. My mind briefly contemplates what tomorrow may bring as I drift off into a peaceful slumber.

GarHighlander
Seeker

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2021-03-29

Lord Arogandor, EdJenkins, Dardoc, mini Roos, Pan and vitasmom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hana-suki Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:20 am

Friday 30th April 2021,

I was in bed hoping to get one more hour of sleep but my needy chickens would not allow it.  I fed them and that soothed their hunger.  No need to convert any of them to meat so it was a good day for all of us.  I have been writing for many weeks and enjoying the process.  I think my writing style has improved.  Next I went to the library and read to improve my reading and get some knowledge.  Afterwards I was famished and had a delicious meal made by another in the realm.  I was also quite thirsty and had five drinks.  I was satisfied after that and fell asleep for an unexpected nap.  The light is dim now so I will do some fixing around the house and be ready for a new day tomorrow.

hana-suki
Seeker

Registration date : 2021-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Taureine Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:30 pm

30th of April, 2021

I woke up to the sound of Peckie's and Stompina's chattering in my ranch, the warmth of my bed particularly hard to leave behind this morning as I knew what terrible task I had to undertake later today. I try to burrow further into my blanket and pillow, but the insistent growling of my empty stomach finally forces me to get ready for the day. With a low groan, I half crawl, half roll out of bed and into my boots, scrubbing my face with cold water from my washbasin before making sure I have all the tools I'll need for my various daily tasks.

After one last check into my wooden chest, exchanging my fishing pole for my old butchering knife in my trusty belt, I set out towards the kitchen, led by the scent of fresh food and warm bread. As I sit at the dinner table, I take note that today will have to be a cooking day, as the meal I have before me is the last I had from my last batch a week or so ago. It is delicious, but the knowledge that today will be Stompina's last weight heavily in my tummy nonetheless.

The last mouthful chewed and swallowed, I put away my utensils and set out towards the ranch, occasionally greetings a few of my fellow Az citizens as I make my way to the area where I had constructed the two animal pens I own. It's a pretty nice day out, not too cool and with a nice breeze that smells like spring growth ruffling my blonde hair... I try to distract myself the best I can, but soon enough I find myself looking into my elderly cow's dark, peaceful little beady eyes as my right-hand brush against the large knife at my waist.

It is time to say goodbye to an old friend.

Humming low in my throat a melody I have often sung to the good old Stompy whenever she felt like letting me milk her without breaking my foot in the process, a slowly approach the little brown bovine with my free hand outstretched. With slow, careful steps and plenty of time to let her back off, I end up petting and ruffling the little spot of pure white fur on her head as I gently kiss Stompina on her snout, a little teary-eyed at the thought I'll be putting her down shortly. It's been nearly a year I've been here now, and I've had to butcher quite a few of my farm animals in the past, but it's always a bit bittersweet, no matter how many times I do it.

Still, it's time.

With a low 'It's alright girlie', I move, ending the cow's life as cleanly and quickly as I can so she won't suffer more than she has to. The deed is done, and I set out to gather what I can from her body so that her death won't be in vain, and go about scattering what remains in my two fields outside so that at the very least the old dear may live on in my crops.

An hour or so later, I've fed Peckie, my hen, and am on my way to the bank to withdraw enough to buy a new calf that I dubbed 'Buttercup', hoping that she'll wait at least a week before reducing my feet to giant bruises this time. The tiny baby cow settled in the old one's cleaned enclosure, I go back to my home; more specifically, I set out towards my kitchen.

Armed with a cauldron and the help of Chef Whamsay, I proceed to turn my newly acquired meat into eight variated meals of meat, fish and potatoes that I call 'Surf and Turf Stew'. Hopefully Stompy would have approved. The rest of my day is passed making fish, egg and potato soups, drinking an alarming amount of cocoa milk, and stuffing a single praline in my piehole as I made my way to the town's tavern.

I'll need a few beers to feel better, and then maybe I'll feel well enough to write a bit in my journal...

Taureine
Seeker

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2020-08-23

Lord Arogandor, EdJenkins, Dardoc, mini Roos, rangerfox, GarHighlander and vitasmom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiara Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:52 pm

Friday 30th April 2021,

The beast known as Fiara, woke up in the morning wanting some breakfast. Times are hard for this fresh faced, dashingly handsome, heart throb of a 12 day old seeker.

Without due haste I headed down to my favourite restaurant... "The soup kitchen", a very high end and fashionable establishment if ever I saw one, for persons who definitely arn't down-and-outs, people who possess an enlightened 'joie de vivre' and are in possession of a particularly noble spirit, gentle persons who simply want to eat a Spartan meal of stale bread in solidarity with the every man and bask in the irony of it's seemingly, to the unsophisticated eye, down-at-heel ambiance.

Finishing off the last crumbs of my daily bread I head off to look at some beautiful birds, Phwooor! Ey! *Nudge nudge* ...at the ranch. I feed my two chickens, they seem to be very happy pecking at the loose corn served by me  scattered on the ground with loving care, very pleased with themselves indeed, cocks of the walk so to speak. My butcher's knife remains at home today, they'll have another three weeks of corn fed plumping up bliss in their near futures. I sang a song of ice & fire whilst listening to their pleasant cluckings, scratchings and general goings on:

~There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight
And music and love and romance
Let's face the music and dance~

After spending a few moments basking in the sun, letting the temperate wind caress my cheeks I decide to go to the local item market to purchase some vital clothing as the lower half of me is in quite a bare and bestial state. Alas, I'm seduced by a fur hat of finer quality than the one I currently owned , one which would be a superior covering for my bonce. I put on the market my older, cruder, fur bonce covering for an amazingly low low price. I hope someone BUYS NOW! Another item I happened to buy was a pair of leather shoes as the next job of the day will be plowing my hop field and I don't want to go barefoot onto the cold soil, only street beggars and people of low character go barefoot after all. I do admit to feeling a distinct sense of smug superiority now that I'm clad in my brand spanking new fur hat and leather shoes. I'm really going places!

The wind gets cooler and an oppressive breeze blows between and right up my legs into my quilted armor bringing me crashing back down to a more moderate and realistic mindset.  All I now have left is 44 bronze coins left merrily jingling in my purse. Maybe if I work hard I'll be able to earn enough and scrape together the free coin to treat myself to some pants before the end of my first month as a seeker.

To the field I go, I plow a backbreaking 4/10 units, it's hard work being a farmer! One day I'll have one whole gold coin in my purse as proof of my earnest nature, which I'll show off to the lasses down the tavern, I can visualize it right now, without doubt how impressed they'll be. I'll be rich, stinking RICH... and not just stinking.

After toiling on the ranch and in the field the sun starts setting on yet another day, I go to the hospital and pray for a solitary life point, being too broke to hire a healer who would've cured all my ailments, aches and pains. 12 bronze!? What am I? Made of money? I then head home and spend my last remaining energy repairing an old staff that I keep in the broom cupboard to chase away rats as well as other base forms of pestilence.

I'm almost completely broke but I decide to go out to the tavern anyway, if not to drink myself into oblivion then just to hear the many varied conversations of the charming fellows that frequently congregate in this popular establishment.  Listening on the many joys and sorrows I somehow find myself in a strange conversation about me not wearing any pants and being offered a kilt or something by a man named Ed. I can't rightly remember it all right now as a kindly soul called rangerfox bought me TWO beers, as it turned out not being used to the effects of downing a frosty brew in less than ten seconds in the resultant ten seconds hence... I was very VERY drunk.

Bed welcomes me like a coffin to a vampire and can feel the heavy iron lids start to close over my eyes, I'll be hugging close to the the wall for additional warmth and I also have my feet placed in a sack to try to mitigate the piercing cold of night. Before I blow out the candle I scratch a few words into my journal, I'll no doubt go on to sing the song of hope and dreams again that a wandering bard sang as I attempt to drift off into a peaceful slumber, this song is one of my favourites:

~Things can only get better
Can only get…~
Fiara
Fiara
Seeker

Registration date : 2021-04-24

Lord Arogandor, EdJenkins, Taureine, mini Roos, Pan and vitasmom like this post

Back to top Go down

A day in the life of Seekers Empty Dear journal ....

Post by Pan Sun May 02, 2021 12:15 am

Date - 30th of April, in the year of our realms 2021:

Today I learned an interesting lesson in my grail adventures.

The day began as most days do: awaken, vote for our dear grail lords (who failed to appreciate me, yet again), receive a free bread from the soup kitchen, share some of my bread with my chickens.

After taking care of my daily routine, I carried my things to the town gates and packed them safely into Robert's wagon.  Robert, of course, has been giving me rides to the Monastery so that I might complete the Weekly Errand.  After carefully packing my wares into Robert's wagon, well ... between the heat of the warm sun, and the tiredness of carrying my goods, I must have dozed off.  I say 'must have,' because I do not remember falling asleep.

I remember waking up, and bashfully looking around after apparently taking a glorious nap!  Gently chiding myself for such slothful behavior, I stretched and looked around to see if any had noticed my midday siesta.  Luckily for me, the streets of Camaar seemed to be quite empty at that moment.

Camaar?

Camaar!?!?!?!

What in the nine realms am I doing in Camaar???  I leapt out of the wagon with great urgency, and nearly tumbled right over poor Robert!  He was in quite as much of a shock as I was, let me tell you!  After a few minutes of explaining, we were able to piece together the mystery.  It was quite simple, really - Robert had forgotten that I was to ride with him to the Monastery the following day, and he did not think to check the wagon as he traveled to Camaar for the day to rid their town of some vile rat infestation.

Of course, I was quite despondent: this trip would take the most of the day, and I had things I should be doing ... things I need to be doing!

Nevertheless, I decided to take a tour of the town since I was there: I toured their markets, I even purchased a few cheap items that I stumbled across, hoping to prevent the trip from being an entire waste.  I saw their Labor Hall, their Office, and their Town Hall. After imbibing in a beer or few at the local tavern, Robert and I at last met up and traveled back homeward.  Poor Robert was quite contrite, though I clearly should have been more aware (and I told him as much).  Still, he insisted on giving me a few tasty pralines by way of apology, and how am I to refuse such heavenly morsels as those?

I was still able to get some chores done before the sun set, though not as many as I usually do, but by the evening time I was happily in my familiar old seat at the tavern, once again.

And that, dear journal, is how I learned to be careful about not falling asleep when hitching a ride with Robert to other towns!  A lesson I hope hope I have Learned well, dear journal ... but then, I suppose that is the whole point in jotting my thoughts down with you, dear journal!

Pan
Seeker

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2021-02-17

Lord Arogandor, robert, EdJenkins, Dardoc, Taureine, mini Roos, GarHighlander and vitasmom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by myke Sun May 02, 2021 8:42 pm

Weird dreams about future, crimes, theft, giant buildings... Wake up in Azetyth, eat a bread from soup kitchen, go Library, choose a book and read. These are all I remember from my past. Maybe I really need a journal, not for dreams...

myke
Seeker

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by mini Roos Wed May 05, 2021 4:50 pm

A day in the life of Seekers HbqPozU
mini Roos
mini Roos
Seeker

Registration date : 2020-12-11

Lord Arogandor, robert, Wanjia, EdJenkins, Taureine, myke, Pan and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Thu May 06, 2021 6:17 am

Dear Seekers,

Thank you all for participating in this contest!
I'm pleasantly surprised to see how much talent there's in the Realm!
The response for this contest was higher than anticipated, which makes us motivated to organize more contests in the near future.

The Grail Lords awarded the following Seekers with a Grail Journal, based on their personal taste -or lack of it- and the response received from other Seekers:

• Fiara
  • GarHighlander
  • Mini Roos
  • Pan
  • Taureine

The other participants will receive a Cheap Journal.

The -unannounced- prize of one honor for most the original diary goes to Mini Roos, who managed to visualize her daily life using her drawing skills!
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Number of posts : 2995
Registration date : 2008-09-19

https://thegraillords.net

Taureine, mini Roos and myke like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by myke Thu May 06, 2021 2:25 pm

Congtratulations all! 

Unannounced prize made me happy, Mini Roos' special diary deserves a special prize Smile.

myke
Seeker

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-02-09

mini Roos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mini Roos Thu May 06, 2021 6:08 pm

Thank u Myke  Smile
And thank u a lot Aro!

Congratulation all too Smile
mini Roos
mini Roos
Seeker

Registration date : 2020-12-11

myke likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Taureine Thu May 06, 2021 11:04 pm

Yay! Congrats to all, and well done, Roos!

Taureine
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Taureine Thu May 06, 2021 11:06 pm

PS: Today is the day Peckie must be butchered. May she find Stompina again in the afterlife in this rather darkly humorous turn of events; one died for my entry, and the other died for my prize!

Taureine
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down