The Official Forum of The Grail Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upcoming Library change

4 posters

Go down

Upcoming Library change Empty Upcoming Library change

Post by Lord Arogandor Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:58 am

Dear Seekers,

At this moment town books last for eternity once they are copied by the librarians.

We are still working on expanding the library with additional books but in addition to this, we will add "durability" to books as well. This means that when Seekers read town books, their durability will decrease (similar like many of the tools). In time, the books will crumble to dust and be vanished from the Realm. To counter this, towns will be able to have numerous copies of the same book and be able to provide a constant "supply" of books available in the library. This update will give more work to Seekers who want to increase their "writing skill" and in time add more variation on what books will be available in the different town libraries.

Please if you have any questions or additional suggestions related to this update share them with us. Smile
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Number of posts : 2995
Registration date : 2008-09-19

https://thegraillords.net

Back to top Go down

Upcoming Library change Empty Re: Upcoming Library change

Post by EdJenkins Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:49 am

I bet a book on Smelting would be copied very frequently!

EdJenkins
Seeker

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2020-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dardoc Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:45 pm

Working on it Ed, just want to make sure I hit 100 in both smelting and blacksmithing before putting down the secrets in writing.

On the actual update...

YAY! er... I mean... ok good for writing but I am going to have to whip up some scribes and who is supposed to pay for all this copying of books ... oh wait...

Time to look again at the budget!

Btw Aro - It´s all good bringing up new sources of expenses to town budgets (We have the militia and now the book copying) but do you have any new sources of revenue in mind?

Dardoc
Seeker

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2020-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:56 am

+ A book about Ore Smelting has yet to be added.

+ Towns receive an income from Library passes. If towns would have issues getting sufficient money, we can look into new solutions for that, I'm open for such a discussion. But not in this forum topic.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by daradle Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:37 pm

Rather than having multiple copies of each book, would it make more sense to allow the towns to hire scribes to replace the 'used up' pages as they go along?
That also gives Reading seekers the incentive to contribute to Writing to keep the library fully stocked, rather than allowing towns to stockpile multiple copies of the same book.

daradle
Seeker

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2013-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:55 am

It's something I've considered as well Daradle, having a replacement system similar as how equipment is repaired, but eventually I went for treating books as unique objects like tools who lose their durability. It's more easy to implement and improves the flexibility and allows me to re-use some code from the past.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down