The Official Forum of The Grail Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building Roads

+5
daradle
keitsu
NukaCola
Axel Ackland
Lord Arogandor
9 posters

Go down

Building Roads Empty Building Roads

Post by Lord Arogandor Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:59 pm

Dear Seekers,

With the new town, new roads are required!
Unlike old times, roads no longer magically appear but must be build by Seekers!

For practical reasons it will not be possible to build roads just anywhere, the route will be set before and once decided, we'll stick to the route.
As I feel the roads is something we can decide together, I'm added an image on which you can draw your best routes on the new map area.

Roads on grass: 1.0x stamina multiplier
Roads through forests: 1.5x stamina multiplier
Roads through mountains: 2.0x stamina multiplier.

Roads will require stone, but the amount will be fixed for each tile.
We hope to add a new "Construction" skill as well for this chapter.

When you made a proposal, please upload your image so we can see and discuss.

Building Roads Map10

Last edited by Lord Arogandor on Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Number of posts : 2995
Registration date : 2008-09-19

https://thegraillords.net

VALIANT likes this post

Back to top Go down

Building Roads Empty Re: Building Roads

Post by framer Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:30 pm

Building Roads Dfhpn910

Not sure if Sarmiz welcomes input from foreign city planners, but this would be my suggestion. Black would be first, red is a possible expansion for more efficient access to the monastery.

-part of a road towards the shore for herbalists
-part of a road towards the new quarry and quicker access to the quarry for people from other towns
-doesn't require too much initial effort by using existing roads, but allowing a future expansion with the shortest possible route to the monastery

framer
Seeker

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2016-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Cae Indru Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:15 pm

I think the roads that connect Sarmiz to Monastery and Stone Querry should look like this:
I provide here 2 options for Sarmiz - Monastery route and i would like to have the most economical route (if i am not wrong, the zig zag route is shorter).

Building Roads 2s7goiuBuilding Roads 29x9df4

Cae Indru
Seeker

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Axel Ackland Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:58 pm

Its the same distance.  The zig-zags just make it more annoying to walk Razz

Axel Ackland
Seeker

Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2010-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by framer Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:24 pm

Well, it saves some construction costs avoiding 1 forest (not sure if that faded rock on the coast counts as a mountain tile?). Also why I like cae's suggestion of going through the old quarry instead of around it like I did.

Still prefer my option of going west from sarmiz first for herbalists going to the coast and the people going to the quarry, not sure if building a complete road to the new quarry is worth it, but I guess that depends on the costs.

framer
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by daradle Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:38 am

Building Roads Map1010

I have two possible suggestions.
As Axel said, the zig zags don't save on distance, they just make it annoying to walk. And I'm not sure what the stamina cost of leaving the quarry square is - but I doubt you get the benefit of the road.
The black line is broadly what framer and Cae suggested. The blue line is option 2 - more expensive but better connectivity. Rather than just going to the Monastery, it also cuts down the journey time to Spero and the coal mine. Just throwing it out there Smile

daradle
Seeker

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2013-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NukaCola Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:17 am

Building Roads Map1010

Just another option.  :LOL1:

NukaCola
Seeker

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:46 am

Good suggestions for the the roads so far Smile
The Stone Quarry won't be changed. This was a nice try though Wink
I suggest now that we come to an agreement which route we will implement.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by keitsu Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:59 am

since the road construction will be done by seekers, will the job appear at all 3 towns labourhall or we have to physically make our way there to lay down the foundations? the 2nd option is more likely we may 'derail' lol.

i'll suggest we reduce the amount of natural areas to flatten (in support with framer's suggestion): 

Building Roads Map10-10

keitsu
Seeker

Registration date : 2015-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by daradle Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:58 pm

With keitsu's suggestion Seekers also get to have nice walks along the beach Smile

daradle
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:54 am

Roads will be build on spot.
The Grail Lords will pay a certain amount for the stones directly to the player who donates the stones & they also will provide their minimum wage for the work done.

Once a road it build the tile will be changed and from then on, Seekers will profit from the efforts done.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Cae Indru Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:58 am

I'll post my final suggestion after reset because i did some route tests to find the better one.

Cae Indru
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Cae Indru Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:49 pm

I still think this is the best option because:
- probably we won't be allowed to have another entrance in The Grail Monastery
- we need to have the shortest route to The Grail Monastery because from there we have almost the same distance to coal and iron mine
- we should pass through the quarry because when it will collapse we'll have a plain terrain
- passing through forest isn't an option because would consume 4.5 stamina if passing on plane consume 3 stamina.
- this route give us the shortest route to shore, to forest, to quarry

Building Roads 2s7goiu

Cae Indru
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by daradle Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:39 pm

we should pass through the quarry because when it will collapse we'll have a plain terrain
Exactly...you'll have a plain - not a road. Hopefully we're aiming for a *complete* road here?
And that's assuming the flooded quarry turns into a plain once done - there are ruins elsewhere that suggests that might not be the case. For the sake of one more road tile it doesn't make sense to skimp on it - there's over 8000 stone left and as we get nearer the end the last 1000 might take a while to be mined given the extra damage.

Also are you sure the route to the new quarry is avoiding the mountains? Keitsu's map had grid squares which suggest those big mountains cover two squares - might be worth checking before committing.

daradle
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Cae Indru Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:19 pm

After the quarry will collapse we'll build a road. Until then, the quarry will act like plain and will consume 3 stamina.
Each time i passed through the quarry i spent low amount of stamina if i came from plain/road and high amount if i came from mountain (5-7 stamina).

Building road and passing by the quarry mean 3 more tiles to build road.

You might be right about the new route to the new quarry so i propose another 2 options: one through small rocks which are considered like plains and one through one mountain which have the advantage to pass through a shore.

Building Roads 34q3gn6

Cae Indru
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by framer Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:02 pm

Im with keitsu's suggestion for the combination of beautiful grid squares and long walks on the beach, maybe with passing through the old quarry instead of around it depending on the stamina cost of making roads.

Is this something all seekers have to vote on or something sarmiz can decide for themselves?

framer
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Helfdane Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:57 am

Why the massive loop to Sarmiz? Why not continue the road straight north towards the quarry, and have a straight east/west road connecting that road to Sarmiz?

Less tiles, and other Seekers will be able to more efficiently get to the new quarry.
Helfdane
Helfdane
Seeker

Number of posts : 1107
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Cae Indru Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:08 pm

Helfdane wrote:Why the massive loop to Sarmiz? Why not continue the road straight north towards the quarry, and have a straight east/west road connecting that road to Sarmiz?

Less tiles, and other Seekers will be able to more efficiently get to the new quarry.

- Because Sarmiz need to be visited by other seekers, especially when Sarmiz won't have any stamina bonus.
- Because Sarmiz will support the road costs/building and it should have a minimum advantage by being visited at least by the ones that need stone.
- Because other towns had maximized buildings, roads and useful mines very close, while Sarmiz have to build/upgrade all its buildings, has mostly newbies, low funds and a lot of needs.

Cae Indru
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Helfdane Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:31 am

Won't any Seeker be able to help build the road?

I don't see why the road should be built only through Sarmiz to the quarry, just so everyone else is forced to go through. Roads to all other mines are accessed without having to go through Camaar or Spero.
Helfdane
Helfdane
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Helfdane Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:23 am

Also, you would be building 8 road tiles if you didn't hook through to Sarmiz, which looks to take 11 road tiles to build.
Helfdane
Helfdane
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by daradle Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:19 pm

I just walked up to the new quarry to check - and those large mountains are 2 squares across, so the best route up to the quarry is up past the coast, not zig-zagging

daradle
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:15 am

Due to all kind of real life issues I'm way behind schedule.
I've decided to skip the road building chapter for now.
The code for adding roads isn't ready still and I believe there are more urgent matters to solve then adding the possibility to make roads. This might sound disappointing to some, but sometimes difficult choices need to be made.
The road from Sarmiz to The Grail Monastery will be added by myself based on the many propositions I can find here.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by AxineeHearth Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 am

Does it take a lot of coding to implement road building, Aro?

It'd be a nice way for seekers to improve the realm. For instance make short cuts from one town to another, or making a road to the stone quarry, to the witch etc.

I envision it like this: One square of road on the map would need x amount of stone and sand delivered to that square. When the quota is filled, it will be possible to go to that square and work with a Shovel or a Pickaxe (we can assume both tools are needed at one point) using the Labourer skill. (Also, it will now have paid off to have a horse cart, even a Weight increase potion, since sand and stone are heavy materials.)

Sand will be a new resource, available to fetch from a Beach with a Shovel and a Sandbag, a new item available to make in the Tailor workshop. The Sandbag needs to deteriorate quickly, so that we get some more turnover for Wool. 

The fun part with building road is that it's a communal work, helping every other seeker save stamina in the future. It'll increase the Labourer skill for digging Sand, delving Stone and for working on the road. Endurance and intelligence could play a part in the road building. 

Of course there will have to be lots and lots of awards, like "Sandman award" for delivering y amounts of Sand,  "Golem award" for delivering tons of stone,  Road Runner award for finishing a piece of road etc

The goal: Increase consumption of wool and stone, increase things to do in the realm, have something common for all towns to work together on (it needs planning, hence more interaction between players), increase the usefulnes of horse cart/hand cart, add fun awards, and add to creativity.

AxineeHearth
Seeker

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2016-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:51 am

Apologizes for the late reply.

It doesn't take "a lot" of coding to implement road building, in fact a part of the code has been written a while ago.
The issue and reason why it never got added is that if you give the Seekers the choice and freedom to start building roads and alter the map, the entire map might eventually turn into a road. I'm sure it wouldn't come that far, but it might still lead to unexpected results.

So the decision was made not to don't allow Seekers to start altering the Realm and instead new roads were added after discussing a path with the community and then added by me afterwards. We can add new roads, discuss a fixed path and once the building plan for a road has been settled, the selected tiles can be altered and build into roads by Seekers. That way, a whole new kind of job (and maybe even a new resource) and a more dynamic map can be added while road growth is kept under control.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by AxineeHearth Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:32 pm

Lord Arogandor wrote:Apologizes for the late reply.

It doesn't take "a lot" of coding to implement road building, in fact a part of the code has been written a while ago.
The issue and reason why it never got added is that if you give the Seekers the choice and freedom to start building roads and alter the map, the entire map might eventually turn into a road. I'm sure it wouldn't come that far, but it might still lead to unexpected results.

So the decision was made not to don't allow Seekers to start altering the Realm and instead new roads were added after discussing a path with the community and then added by me afterwards. We can add new roads, discuss a fixed path and once the building plan for a road has been settled, the selected tiles can be altered and build into roads by Seekers. That way, a whole new kind of job (and maybe even a new resource) and a more dynamic map can be added while road growth is kept under control.

This sounds good! cheers

AxineeHearth
Seeker

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2016-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down