The Official Forum of The Grail Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reilly LaBeau Encounter

+2
framer
Jubilee
6 posters

Go down

Reilly LaBeau Encounter Empty Reilly LaBeau Encounter

Post by Lord Arogandor Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:27 am

Dear Seekers,

Apparently some Seekers have encountered the recently added Reilly LaBeau encounter. And apparently some Seekers feel violated and offended by the inappropriate content.
When we added this encounter it was CLEARLY NOT our intention to imply any form of sexual harassment!

The used encounter texts:

Greetings, my dear stranger. Please, allow me to introduce myself. I am Reilly LaBeau, brigand extraordinaire. Fear not, I am not the heartless villain some make me out to be. I usually ask for a few paltry coins in exchange for my friendship and a continued safe journey, but seeing your charms and grace I can only repent my wicked ways. May I ask for you to bless me with a simple kiss?

A) No harm in a simple kiss!
B) You can get my weapon instead!

Reaction A:
They may call Reilly LaBeau a thief, but it is you who has stolen my heart! Please allow me the pleasure and honor of:
- sharing these grapes together with you!
- sharing a glass of wine with you!
- presenting you with this flower, whose beauty pales next to you!
- say my goodbyes and leave you on your way!

Reaction B:
Not only do you break my heart, you also made a very unwise decision, but so be it. En garde!

We gladly hear your suggestions to replace all of the offensive parts of this encounter. Please keep in mind when making a suggestion that Reilly LaBeau has no specified gender.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Number of posts : 2995
Registration date : 2008-09-19

https://thegraillords.net

Back to top Go down

Reilly LaBeau Encounter Empty Re: Reilly LaBeau Encounter

Post by Jubilee Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:25 pm

What does the text say if one loses the fight, and what does it say if you win the fight with the Reilly Labeau character?

Jubilee
Seeker

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2018-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubilee Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:29 pm

I don't find the character asking for a kiss to be offensive. It's actually kind of cute.  But I do find when the options are so limited to having to either kiss or fight for your life to be very offensive. It forces you to pick a kiss to avoid a lengthy hospital stay.  How does that make him NOT a heartless villian? If you have to "give in" to avoid a beatdown? If he was truly a gentle villian he wouldn't beat up someone over a kiss. That's offensive. That's the kind of choice that predators want you to believe is your ONLY option available.  So... It's uncomfortable. I'm not sure if it makes anybody else feel a little uncomfortable or just me because I've been sexually abused in the past...and made choices between getting anywhere from your arm twisted, blackmailed, beat up, threatened, property damage, have a knife up against your throat or thrown down stairs or be systemically sexually abused/raped.  I also do realize Grail Lords is a game and it's not anyone's intention for this character to be bad and that kissing him is suppossed to be harmless.   But sometimes sexual abuse is a slow grooming process of manipulation until the abuse slowly grows worse and worse. So even a manipulation for a kiss can be sensitive. Which is why I support making some changes so the encounter isn't such a setup.  I ask this not for myself (I've had oodles of therapy) but maybe it really bothers others. In fact I'm concerned why this maybe doesn;t concern others more or before this. And it makes me question what the intention behind this reilly creations was? 

I'd never allow someone to treat me so callously in real life, without payback...would you?  But you basically can't get payback if he puts you in the hospital, right? So... can we replace option B with a non hostile option...like telling him/her to "bugger off" and pay him the toll instead? or add an option C? Or make it easier to defeat him/her in battle with some sort of automatic critical hit to his or her unspecified genitals? idk

Jubilee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubilee Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Having had a few hours to mull over what I've written, I know longer even feel sure of my own mind on this topic even though I felt so very strongly about my opinion earlier but now wonder if I am overreacting...idk.  I can only hope others weigh in with their own comments and perspective.

Jubilee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by framer Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Since I wrote the encounter I will try to shed some light on the intention behind the character and encounter, but first want to apologize to anyone that had a negative experience because of it. Reilly was intended to be flirty, but definitely nothing beyond that and I'm really sorry for any associations with or implication of sexual abuse.

In the initial encounter design the player had 3 choices:

A) No harm in a simple kiss!
B) Absolutely not! Step aside and I’ll be on my way.
C) You can get my weapon instead!

Since different results/rewards for choice A or B would make one choice the "right" choice it got cut down to 2 options, without revising the text of the other options. Though I think this was a good decision for game technical reasons, I can definitely see it changed the tone of the encounter for the worse: leaving a fight against a high level opponent as the only alternative to letting a stranger kiss your character. If there is enough room in the text box for the third option I will be happy to revise it for Aro.

I also want to note that Reilly was intentionally written without a gender (Reilly being a unisex name in English as far as I know and La(female)Beau(male) as a last name) to leave to the imagination of the player who exactly is flirting with them.

I will be happy to alter the encounter to hopefully make it enjoyable for everyone and any feedback is welcome!

framer
Seeker

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2016-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubilee Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Thank you for explaining.  I do feel relieved that someone else is writing a comment and to know that originally there was a third option.

I am a seeker that felt neither offended or "violated" by the Reilly encounter, yet I think that shouldn;t stop me from expressing why I think the encounter comes off weird. Nor do I think it should prevent starting a meaningful dialogue/conversation when someone else has declared an announcement of very vocal displeasure about the whole event on the game website  I do hope for a solution that makes the Reilly encounter more enjoyable for all too. I was worried people just were apathetic or idk...and when a seeker announced how offended they were by the Reilly encounter...I wanted it taken seriously. And am glad that it is. 

I like the idea of  a choice c. I really like it.
  Because I firmly believe that the only "right" choice in a civilized world is that all beings should have the choice of being flirty back or telling a person to back off without it turning into a life threatening experience.  And like in life, why shouldn't the characters we play in Grail lords get the choice of kissing Reilly on the days we feel flirty or saying "no" on the days we don't want that.

Last edited by Jubilee on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jubilee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:00 am

What does the text say if one loses the fight, and what does it say if you win the fight with the Reilly Labeau character?
Fighting Reilly results in a normal combat with a normal combat result.

I like the idea of  a choice c. I really like it.
Option C, "Absolutely not! Step aside and I’ll be on my way." was removed as it leads to a fixed outcome. Something we try to avoid in encounters. We will add back the third option, allowing the Seeker to pay for his/her free passage (without kiss). After all flirt or not, Reilly is and remains a thief.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubilee Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:26 pm

I like your option c, Aro, of paying the toll, since I think it changes the tone of the encounter just enough and prevents the issue you were concerned about as well. Hopefully it will prevent any future misunderstandings, and allow the seeker who was offended a chance to explain here a bit more, even though it appears he hasn't at least yet.etc. Which is what I was hoping for in all this-to help. I certainly never intended to cause any problems. idk

Thanks Framer and Lord Arogandor

Jubilee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by MissSandy Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:56 am

In stead of kissing him can i shake his hand?
MissSandy
MissSandy
Seeker

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2016-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:54 am

*A third option has been added*
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracula Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm not easily offended, but this entire encounter seems ill advised in the current #metoo climate - The only aspect I personally would deem inappropriate is the reference to alcohol in the dialogue of this character

Dracula
Seeker

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Helfdane Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:29 pm

Please reject political correctness in all it's forms.

My grandmother was crushed to death when a grail fell on her. I find the name of your game offensive, and demand it be changed...
Helfdane
Helfdane
Seeker

Number of posts : 1107
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:54 am

All right...that explains the dent in my Grail....

I believe the issue is resolved now with adding a third "hand-shake" option, so topic closed.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: