The Official Forum of The Grail Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mornington Crescent - The Game

Go down

Mornington Crescent - The Game Empty Mornington Crescent - The Game

Post by TheHeirtotheThrone Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:21 am

There cannot be anyone in the civilized world who does not already know the basic rules of Mornington Crescent, so I shall not insult my fellow seekers by re-iterating them here. Suffice to say, if you have temporarily forgotten them, or if you come from, say, the uncivilized world, such as, for example, France, you will certainly pick them up as you go along. Beginners will discover that Mornington Crescent is a little like golf, a little like shove-ha'penny, quite a lot like watching your laundry in the tumble-drier, and most closely resembles feeling around in the dark for a pocketful of loose change dropped in an unlit, damp alleyway on a Saturday night after a few beers. That is to say: frustrating, hard on the right forefinger, disorienting, even more disorienting, sheer hell on the right forefinger, and frustrating... probably in that order.

Watch out for a change of rules between games, and even during games. This is one of the best features of the game, as you probably know.

Oh... and please remember that your score will be sent to your employer as part of your next staff assessment; may be quoted in court in the event of a character reference being required; and a good score, accredited by Samantha, will shortly be necessary in the states of California and Utah when applying for a licence to impersonate Marcel Marceau in a public place, so, please, NO CHEATING! You have been warned. Since I, as the game starter can legally impersonate Marcel Marceau without a permit, you may find I cheat quite readily. However, I am usually rather unsophisticated in deception, and you will quickly recognise my little ploys. We favour a sharp kick to the Turbo button as a discipline, but others prefer just to withdraw power until it promises to behave.

P.S. for your reference here is a map.

Last edited by TheHeirtotheThrone on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:30 am; edited 2 times in total
TheHeirtotheThrone
TheHeirtotheThrone
Seeker

Number of posts : 729
Registration date : 2010-09-18

https://thegraillords.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Mornington Crescent - The Game Empty Re: Mornington Crescent - The Game

Post by TheHeirtotheThrone Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:25 am

I have always been a big fan of Newtonian gameplay, so Im just going to blatantly copy Isaac's opening in the 1694 British Open.

Ill take the round about to Chalfont & Latimer.
TheHeirtotheThrone
TheHeirtotheThrone
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:37 pm

I don't think you can take the round about there until you've first been to Chesham for tea.

P.S, - although not French, I must be from the less-civilized world because I had to Google "Mornington Crescent" and even now I'm more than a little confused but I'm willing to play along and if I goof up ~ oh well, you'll live with it Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHeirtotheThrone Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Well Chesham tea was the precedent up until '64, that was overruled with prejudice at the 1965 Bromville vs Steve match.

You must have stumbled across an outdated version of the rules, but I'll be a gentleman and not hold it against you.

Also, I believe its still your opening move.
TheHeirtotheThrone
TheHeirtotheThrone
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:56 pm

I could never decide whether I preferred East or West so I'll begin at Hounslow Central.

Also, your gentlemanly concern is greatly appreciated as I get my wits about me.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHeirtotheThrone Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:00 pm

Well played, well played indeed. You've got me cornered now, the only way I can avoid Spoon is to take the switch to Wimbledon and use one of my Doubles.
TheHeirtotheThrone
TheHeirtotheThrone
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:12 pm

But, using a Double is going to hurt you later because now I can use a free token to go around Sudbury Hill and stop in Ickenham for brunch.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHeirtotheThrone Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Damn, okay, I'll admit I was trying to take advantage of your newness there, I guess I reached my quota for gentlemanliness for today. Seems your better prepared than I thought.

I guess I have to give up this assault and retreat to Hackney Wick.
TheHeirtotheThrone
TheHeirtotheThrone
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Hmm...but you've left me stuck in West Harrow with no visible way to defend against your next move without using a Harrow, which we both know slows me down terribly.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHeirtotheThrone Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Well Im going to use a quick draw to corner you even more with Great Portland Street
TheHeirtotheThrone
TheHeirtotheThrone
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:44 pm

GAH! Not Great Portland Street!?!?!?! You're forcing me to use an Ace and even then I have to go all the way back to Oxford Circus.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHeirtotheThrone Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:46 pm

And it opens up MC in 4, unless you can counter me. Which quite frankly I doubt your ability to do.
TheHeirtotheThrone
TheHeirtotheThrone
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:54 pm

You do make things difficult m'lord; but I think there may be a way if I skip through Covent Garden. Yes. That closed off the direct tube to the MC and I still have my Four of Hops to play when I need it.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHeirtotheThrone Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:32 am

Well you've got me stumped, I could head south to Epping, or east to Uxbridge, but I think the best course would be just to stop for some crumpets at Queen's Park.

Come on people, don't be shy, just pick a station, we promise not to laugh (to your face) when you make a bad move.
TheHeirtotheThrone
TheHeirtotheThrone
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:44 pm

Queen's Park should be a foul. You cannot interrupt during tea time. Not to brag but I'm taking the Westbury to the Shoreditch, I've picked up an extra double token.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down