The Official Forum of The Grail Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill

+4
Dardoc
Ragnar_the_Dour
Aglarele
Lord Arogandor
8 posters

Go down

Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill Empty Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill

Post by Lord Arogandor Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:58 pm

Dear Seekers,

The next few days, we will replace the existing Cowardice Skill and it's game effects with the brand new Bravery Skill!

The Cowardice Skill is one of the few Skills that have a negative impact on the Seeker and their actions. Having a high Cowardice Skill restricts the Seeker of entering few locations on the map and decreases their performance in combat. As all Seekers start with 1 on all of their Skills and work on raising their skills for gaining additional benefits, the Cowardice Skill is at it's best at 1. With age, it becomes more difficult to maintain a low Cowardice Skill and suffer no negative effects which doesn't follow the logic of the other available skills.

So for the sake of logic, future updates and rather reward brave seekers than punish cowards, we decided to make the following changes!

Upcoming Changes:
- A certain level of Bravery Skill (fear threshold) will be required to enter certain map locations (dungeons, ruins and other dangerous places) instead of having a low Cowardice Skill.
- The Heroic Heart Potion will temporarily increase the Bravery Skill (instead of reducing the Cowardice Skill).
- Seekers will gain Bravery Skill when battling monsters (instead of reducing the Cowardice Skill).
- Seekers will lose Bravery Skill (skill can't be lower than 1, which makes fleeing more forgiving for young players) when fleeing from combat (instead of gaining Cowardice Skill).
- The Token Reward "Courage for the Weak" will be removed from the game.
- The few Seekers who have Cowardice Skill Achievements will lose those achievements but can keep their Grail Score points.
- All Seekers will gain a one time skill bonus based on the monsters they have already killed during their time in the Realm.

If you have any questions, comments or additional suggestions about this change, please post them here on the forum rather than contacting me directly in game. That way I don't have to answer the same questions multiple times.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Number of posts : 2991
Registration date : 2008-09-19

https://thegraillords.net

mini Roos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill Empty Re: Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill

Post by Aglarele Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:22 pm

Great news!
Finally a chance to get some higher scores on the Grailympics that previously included cowardice. I was hesitant to level that skill due to the punishment during the combat events.
Aglarele
Aglarele
Seeker

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2017-03-15

Back to top Go down

Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill Empty Re: Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill

Post by Lord Arogandor Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:54 pm

Ah fair point!
We will update that as well!
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragnar_the_Dour Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:19 pm

Nice!
I guess that also applies to the battle events then? They have it listed as "Cowardice skill: increase chance to deal 30% less damage". Perhaps a bit more tricky to convert that to bravery without punishing young seekers for their still low bravery.
Ragnar_the_Dour
Ragnar_the_Dour
Seeker

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2019-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Aglarele Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:05 pm

See, trying to give a subtle reminder to update it everywhere Wink

Perhaps bravery during events inspires others to do more damage? Like your followers or perhaps some random event where you help an ally (someone less than a year old or so who did join in with the combat event)
After all, combat events aren't all about your own total damage, but also about the towns coming together to defeat the barbarians or the pumpkin king, so defending younger citizens would make sense.
Aglarele
Aglarele
Seeker

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2017-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:48 am

Dear Seekers,

We updated the Bravery Skill of Seekers today!
Seekers gained Bravery based on the monsters they killed in the past - their current Cowardice Skill (minus 1).
The Bravery Skill is capped at 40, so nobody currently has more than 40.

Inactive Seekers or Seekers with a high Cowardice Skill will have gained no additional Bravery. Just as all skills, the Bravery Skill can never be lower than 1.

We also replaced the Cowardice Skill effects on items. If the temporarily Bravery Skill effect isn't showing, simply unequip and equip the equipment again.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:55 am

• Added the Bravery Skill into the Realm.
  • Changed the follower Brave Sir Robin giving temporarily 20 points on the Bravery Skill.
  • Adjusted the Bravery Skill of all Seekers based on their Cowardice Skill and monsters killed.
  • Replaced the -1.2 Cowardice Skill of the Gaiseric's Helmet into +1.2 Bravery Skill.
  • Replaced the -1 Cowardice Skill of the Hex Hunter's Chest into +1 Bravery Skill.
  • Replaced the Cowardice Skill Achievements with the Bravery Skill Achievements.
  • Replaced the Cowardice Skill with the Bravery Skill in the "Feeding Elion's" Grailympic competition.
  • Removed the "Courage for the Weak" from the available Grail Token rewards.
  • Made the "Bravery Skill" available for the "Good Start" Grail Token reward.
  • Seekers receive Bravery Skill when defeating a monster.
  • Seekers lose Bravery Skill when running away from a battle.
  • Changed the effects of the Heroic Heart Potion. Giving a temporarily +20 on the Bravery Skill.

• Forests required now a minimum bravery of 5 instead of a Cowardice lower than 80.
  • Shores required now a minimum bravery of 5 instead of a Cowardice lower than 90.
  • The Stone Quarry required now a minimum bravery of 15 instead of a Cowardice lower than 60.
  • The Coal Mine required now a minimum bravery of 15 instead of a Cowardice lower than 60.
  • The Iron Mine required now a minimum bravery of 15 instead of a Cowardice lower than 60.
  • The Forgotten Ruins required now a minimum bravery of 25 instead of a Cowardice lower than 30.
  • The Ruins of Hrabrost required now a minimum bravery of 25 instead of a Cowardice lower than 30.
  • The Witch Hut required now a minimum bravery of 30 instead of a Cowardice lower than 50.
  • The Flooded Quarry required now a minimum bravery of 40 instead of a Cowardice lower than 30.
  • The Abandoned will require a minimum bravery of 45 to enter.
  • The Island Cave will require a minimum bravery of 50 to enter.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragnar_the_Dour Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:11 pm

Changed the effects of the Heroic Heart Potion. Giving a temporarily +20 on the Bravery Skill.
Does that mean it's always +20 regardless of potion quality?
Ragnar_the_Dour
Ragnar_the_Dour
Seeker

Registration date : 2019-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:24 pm

That's correct Ragnar.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dardoc Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:49 pm

If you have sufficient bravery skill that the check will be a success in any case...

Do you still lose 10 stamina entering all of these places now or does the bravery check simply not take place?

Thanks!

Dardoc
Seeker

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2020-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Filbert Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:29 pm

Apparently the Bravery Check Takes place anyway; I don't know whether it is the code or the explanation that is mistaken. " Chance to overcome your fear: 105%

Your Bravery Skill is lower than the fear threshold of this location which is 5. You will have to overcome your fear before you can continue"

Your Bravery Skill:10.493Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill Button_help

Filbert
Seeker

Registration date : 2019-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Cuhadar Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:46 pm

I feel happy about this change, Cowardice skill always confused me and I never cared to learn what good (or bad) is it.

However, after 5+ year in the game, 18 combat levels, thousands of critters killed... And my Bravery is only 23?

Just asking if it is normal.

Cuhadar
Seeker

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Saffron Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:19 pm

I think the bravery requirements to enter the forest and shore are extreme. When you enter the forest to collect herbs, there is no fighting.  When you go to the shore it's possible to be attacked - but much less likely than traveling on the roads.  

This has just nerfed herbalism, alchemy, and fishing.  New players won't be able to collect herbs or fish, those will be reserved for experienced fighters. 

Collecting herbs provides ingredients for the weekly errand and potions,  as well as income.  My herbalism skill is 42 - and it's now useless because my bravery is less than 5.

Combat isn't a primary focus for me.  But in 2 years, I've done the weekly errand many times and participated in several events. I've had hundreds of combat encounters; it's hard to justify that I'm scared to enter a forest where there will be no combat.

Saffron
Seeker

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2020-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dardoc Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:42 pm

Actually Saffron...

If you have just 5 bravery you will enter the forest without problems.

With 1 bravery (minimum) you have a 96% chance to enter the forest without problems.

And you get bravery skill every time you enter the forest...

So after some visits (40) you will have enough bravery to never have to worry about entering the forest or shore ever again. Statistically you may have failed to enter the forest maybe twice by that point. Not exactly a terrible constraint.

However, I do believe that it is important that you are able to avoid the courage check once you have enough courage... and not only after you have had some drinks ...

Dardoc
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Saffron Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:32 am

Thank you for the explanation Dardoc.  I thought it would be all or nothing.  

My apologies to Aro!

Saffron
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Lake Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:56 pm

Saffron is partially right, newer players will be affected more in the sense of they have to use now 10 stamina each time they want to go fishing or to gather herbs. Based on Dardoc's number - only 40 * 10 = 400 stamina to get bravery to level 5. I wonder how does that work with the tutorial quest - the Weathered Fisherman. I went to the coal mine with a bravery of 1.101 and entered with no issues from first try, just had 10 less stamina to mine coal with. But then the follower, Sir Robin will take care of all that for 20 bronze / day. Maybe the effect will be more visible on Talking Dead quest if one has to have 25 to enter Hrabost Ruins it may be more stamina expensive and also Witch Hut for Mercantile, Wood for a Witch and Alchemist Quest became more difficult to get into, for newer players.  Also if Bravery is capped at 40 then Treasure Island at 50 needs 10 more stamina each time someone tries to enter it - after leaving Ferry. Maybe bravery needs to be balanced and would be nice to have some more ways to gain stamina in game with having a new way to spend it.

Rusty Lake
Seeker

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2021-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dardoc Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:34 pm

Rusty! Where do you get the idea that bravery is capped anywhere?

Also - when in doubt liquid courage is the solution to your problems. Each level of drunkenness increases your courage by 10 if you feel the need to strengthen your spine some.

Dardoc
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill Empty Capped for the transition or capped in general? :)

Post by Rusty Lake Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:43 am

Lord Arogandor wrote:Dear Seekers,

We updated the Bravery Skill of Seekers today!
Seekers gained Bravery based on the monsters they killed in the past - their current Cowardice Skill (minus 1).
The Bravery Skill is capped at 40, so nobody currently has more than 40.

Dardoc! Maybe your reading skill needs improving, scroll up Very Happy

Rusty Lake
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 am

There's been a bug that made you roll the fear threshold anyway. I haven't been able to fix it yet, but when your Bravery Skill is equal or higher than the fear threshold, you'll be able to enter the location without having to spend any stamina. It will be exactly as it was before this update.

Only if your skill is lower you'll have to spend 10 stamina and roll to enter. Either on failure or success you'll receive experience (worth 10 stamina). Hiring a follower, drinking a potion or having a couple beers might help you enter locations. I doubt this will have a major effect on resources gained from the forest or shore.

The bravery skill gained was NOT a compensation for killing monsters, it was a present! Seekers who fought monsters in the past gained mood, loot and combat experience, we didn't take those things away. We based it on the total amount of monsters killed in the realm, your share in it and deducted your cowardice skill from that amount. That present was capped at 40 point maximum. The skill itself isn't capped and can be gained up to 100 like normal skills. If you didn't gain any bravery skill, it's because your cowardice skill was too high. A negative skill that vanished from the Realm with no further negative effects for the players.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dardoc Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:24 pm

Lord Arogandor: wrote:The skill itself isn't capped and can be gained up to 100 like normal skills.

See Rusty? I just have more practice reading Lord Aro Wink

Great to hear that things are getting patched up - sounds like it should be fine soon.

If it helps - here is a fun fact of how the skill worked while the fear threshold was in place:

When you did not have any drinks - you would get a fear threshold check irrespective of your bravery skill. So even if you had over 100% chance of success the check would still kick in.

However - if you had any drinks - even if you were still sober! The fear threshold check would NOT kick in if you had over 100% chance of success - even if your drinks were not providing any liquid courage.

Hope that helps a little.

Dardoc
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:34 am

The issues with the fear threshold should be resolved.

Dardoc, Rusty, I don't think either of your reading skills need further improvements. Instead, I should improve my writing skills so I can communicate more clear. Smile
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Lake Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:38 pm

The answer to everything is beer  Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill 1f424 
hmmm, I lost my flying chicken emoticon! when I edited this ... Sad moment.
To Beer or Not to Beer.  Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill 1f423   Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill 1f425  Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill 1f37a  Replacing Cowardice Skill by Bravery Skill 1f37b

Rusty Lake
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Lake Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:47 pm

:yay:

Rusty Lake
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Saffron Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:27 pm

10 stamina to enter forest because of low bravery did not appear in events.  

this could be an issue in multiple bravery patches.

Saffron
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm

*added an event when Seekers try to gather their courage to enter*
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down