The Official Forum of The Grail Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eye for Quality Book

+3
starkad
EdJenkins
Lord Arogandor
7 posters

Go down

Eye for Quality Book Empty Eye for Quality Book

Post by Lord Arogandor Mon May 18, 2020 7:52 am

Dear Seekers,

We will add a new book into the Library about the "Eye for Quality Skill". This skill that allows Seekers to see the durability of items and equipment placed for sale at the Item Market (help-file).
Reading the new book will increase the Eye for Quality Skill of the Seeker by a few points.

We challenge all enthusiastic writers to come up with a short story that can be added into the book! The Seeker who wrote -in our opinion- the best story will see their story appear in-game and receive a Grail Stamina Potion.

Please keep in mind that:

• Your Book must have a fitting title.
  • The final version of your book must be delivered before 25th of May.
  • The story shouldn't be longer than 1 normal page.

You can sent the story to Lord Arogandor:

• By using an in-game letter.
  • By using email (arogandor@gmail.com)

Total stories received so far: 5 (last updated: 23th of May, 21:30 TGL time)
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Number of posts : 2995
Registration date : 2008-09-19

https://thegraillords.net

Back to top Go down

Eye for Quality Book Empty Re: Eye for Quality Book

Post by Lord Arogandor Mon May 25, 2020 6:35 am

Dear Seekers,

Thank you all for sending me your entries! We really appreciate your effort to improve the quality and depth of the Realm!
As we greatly enjoyed reading the stories, we decided that all the stories are worth a Grail Stamina Potion.

Soon the new book will be added into the Realm with one of the stories received from our participants.

Seekers who wrote a story for this contest:

• Ed Jenkins (5480)
  • FramerTed (1743)
  • Freya (5136)
  • machic (4931)
  • Masius (4762)
  • starkad (4216)
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Number of posts : 2995
Registration date : 2008-09-19

https://thegraillords.net

Back to top Go down

Eye for Quality Book Empty Grail Fiction

Post by EdJenkins Wed May 27, 2020 8:37 am

Seekers, I am sharing my submissions for the Eye of Quality book and I hope those who participated will join me. 

Farmer Ted and the Camaarian Mauve Cow.

There was a tool maker named Farmer Ted who spent too much time in the tavern drinking. After a night of drinking he would stumble into his workshop and make tools that were impossible to use. His bows were too short, his hammers were too heavy to swing and his picks tended to fly off the handle. One day a man came by his workshop claiming that his Camaarian mauve cow was farting too much and he could barely breathe. He hired Farmer Ted to investigate the problem. Farmer Ted attempted to teach the cow not to fart so much by using a torch to light the cow's gas on fire. The cow became a “four-legged fireball,” and ran around frantically, setting hay bales on fire. The flaming cow ran to a nearby bog. The cow's owner and Farmer Ted chased the cow and in doing so stumbled onto an undiscovered grove of red maple trees. The cow was recovered, and Farmer Ted, after being reprimanded for 10 minutes without pause, noticed the cow seemed unharmed and was glistening with a viscous substance it obtained in the bog. He packed some of the fluid into a jar and also a few fallen saplings into his bag. The smoke from his adventure cleared his head so for awhile he experimented with his new finds and crafted some bows. He was able to devise an entirely wooden handbow and coated it with bog fluid. The people of Camaar were resistant to these bows, so they insisted Ted create a special mark to set them apart from the bows they were accustomed to using. Farmer Ted tried out his new bows and found they had many wonderful properties. One time accidently set his bow against the remains of his dinner and found later that the bones from the pig were now be a liquid. Farmer Ted scratched his head at this and went back to drinking. To please himself he set his mark in such a way on the bow that it would be clearly visible when it was new and through all manners of use until it was worn out and needed to be replaced. This happened because Farmer Ted would typically hunt Foempus when drunk and things went horribly wrong one time and he almost lost both of his eyes. He found it would not do to find out he needed a new bow right when he ought to be using it. It so happened that autumn that a new voodooisant at the ruins near the iron mine sent an army of skeletons to the towns to wreak havoc. As the skeletons marched to Camaar, the weapons that were raised against them were useless. As the townsfolk were fleeing in panic, Ted grabbed his bow and coated the arrows with bog fluid. This was found to dissolve the skeletons to a point where they could not hold together and the town was saved. Farmer Ted's bows became the most popular in Camaar and the people marveled at Ted's mark that accurately described each bow's remaining use. Soon it was adopted in all manner of things and market places became safe again as there was no more brawling over damaged goods.

Last edited by EdJenkins on Wed May 27, 2020 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

EdJenkins
Seeker

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2020-05-25

Back to top Go down

Eye for Quality Book Empty When Moles Run Free

Post by EdJenkins Wed May 27, 2020 8:44 am

There was a tanner named Ilona who lived near a hot spring. Each day she boiled the leather squares of cow hide in the spring and used her awls and mallet to harden and shape leather into high quality armor. In the corner of her work area she kept a mole that she would use to test the strength of the leather she used to craft the armor. As she was a kind-hearted lass she would usually also have a Qwerky or two around that had been found hungry and abandoned. One day her mole was biting into a particularly fine piece of leather when it died and she was unable to extract it. She finally had to cut it loose. As since she was too busy to search for another, instead she made its teeth into a "tooth-scraper". Recognizing that the special abilities of a mole's teeth allowed it to slice through leather, she began using this tool to scrape through a small outer layer of her hides, revealing the hidden properties within. How old was the animal before it was harvested? Was it sick? Did it have a healthy diet? These were the things she was able to determine by the inspection of materials. Soon she was making better armor than her competitors and could tell which was composed of strong, high quality hide and which was very likely to break unexpectedly. One day she was visited by a blacksmith named Magnus, who was fascinated by her "tooth-scraper". He had been making experiments into the quality and purity of the iron that he was working with. Townspeople had been complaining about the low quality of horseshoes being made, and therefore the sore hooves of their horses. He wanted to observe her at work. She instructed him that before she could make an item, she had to measure each of the components. Once you are able to determine the quality of each attribute, you see their effect, and note their appearance on the item. She said "How good something is is relative to how good it should be." He showed her one of the poor-quality horseshoes and she asked him to explain how this could be. He showed her how a bar could be bent, and how to spot it being "fixed" by the blacksmith, but with the iron made weaker. Magnus showed her to spot other imperfections such an uncentered point, a cross section that was not square, or a "cold shut" that concealed a crack. He patiently showed her that having skill in evaluating item quality could be applied to many different kinds of things. The townspeople would only be convinced by it all being put to the test. They spent weeks which could have been spent singing, drinking, or racing their pigs and filled the town commons with hundreds of moles, with a wizard named Chaff to judge the proceedings. So Magnus fashioned a spear and an axe for the two of them and Ilona crafted the hardest leather she'd ever made. They held their weapons at arm's height and the moles were permitted a free run at their armor. They slaughtered the army of moles until they could barely lift their arms and were eventually carried out of the common. Chaff and the townsfolk then inspected their armor and weapons. They were in excellent shape with not only proved that Ilona and Magnus were exceptional at determining which were quality materials, but that these could be demonstrated and properties proven that anyone with an interest could be taught how to see.

Last edited by EdJenkins on Wed May 27, 2020 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

EdJenkins
Seeker

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2020-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by starkad Wed May 27, 2020 11:19 am

The Marius Muchmonius Quality Guide

Greetings noble seeker! I am the premier merchant of the realm, Marius Muchmonius. I have been contracted to make a guide to educate the consumer on the business corner of the realm. Cities and the realm are host to flourishing merchant quarters. There is always a need for goods, and people will pay for those needs to be filled. Many merchants are very rich. Some, like myself, acquire this wealth within the laws of the realm, and would never dream of cheating a customer. However, the realm is also home to less scrupulous people, who would gladly cheat you for a silver. 

Some people try to sell second hand tools and armor under the pretense that they are new. As a buyer, you must always be careful in finding wares fit for purchase. To start, avoid items with obvious flaws, even if the seller attempts to assuage your doubts. A clever buyer knows to be cautious of overly cheap items. Everyone is trying to make a profit after all. 

And lastly, if you are not sure about an item, demand a demonstration! The customer is always right after all...

starkad
Seeker

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubilee Wed May 27, 2020 3:06 pm

I procrastinated and then forgot to send mine by the deadline. So I was too late to submit mine. All my fault, I'll admit. But that's ok. Congrats to Freya btw. Smile

I had fun writing this though. Ed had a cool idea to post the stories, so I will too if you lot don't mind me inviting myself to this party.

Title: The Day The Plough Broke The Guilds Back.

Torge was a proud blacksmith and guild master. Each plough and pickaxe painstakingly forged to be of the best quality because he knew how important such tools were to the townspeople. Some years later, the town quickly grew into a city and trade increased. Merchants came to the guild asking for more and more goods to meet the demands of citizens and to line their own pockets with silver. Torge took on several apprentices but it wasn't enough.

While haggling over the price of iron ore in the market one day, Torge heard loud grumbling a few stalls over. "This iron plough barely lasted through 1 crop rotation! It has already chipped. Those blacksmiths are fleecing us! "

Proud Torge stepped in to take a look at the plow. It looked as though someone had repurposed an old plow to look new. When Torge tested the metal, he found it far too brittle. Surely one of his apprentices had not done this? Inquiring further, Torge found that many merchants were selling used items as new and blaming the quality on the guilds out of rebellion.

Torge tried confronting the merchants but was rebuffed to not stick his nose into other people's business...he was no merchant after all and was told, " Torge...don't you have forging to do"

Incensed, Torge went to the mayor and council. But they were more concerned about pulling in taxes. More and more people began accusing the guild for the trouble.

Torge put up notices all over the city warning people about being careful buyers. A few weeks later, Torge started teaching his first class of seekers to have an eye for quality. Soon every town and city had at least one law merchant who could inspect goods for seekers. People slowly grew more confident in the guilds again.

Torge's method of teaching "An eye for quality" didn't become popularized until a mayor found the poor quality seams in his clothing coming completely undone during an election speech. What a scandal! Read about this in the book "A Naked Appraisal".

Last edited by Jubilee on Wed May 27, 2020 4:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jubilee
Seeker

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2018-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by machic Wed May 27, 2020 4:10 pm

here's my contribution.
congratulations to  Freya!

The following book is a translation from a series of ancient tablets that were recently found in Hrabost excavation. As the tablets were of a very bad quality, the name of the author could not be found. It was translated by your obedient servant, Machic de Lisle, former Marquis, well-know as a copyist and translator, fancying himself as a philologist. Please forgive the somewhat informal way the author is writing. As a translator I had to maintain it that way even if if find it almost rude, especially when talking about money.

Dear customers,
here is my first lesson to make you able to seperate the wheat from the chaff when going to the market.

My first achievement was as an expert in earthenware : I found for the so-called Joseph of Arimathia a goblet that was so slid that it would last for centuries (that’s what he asked, I don’t really know what’s the point of it, but you know… the customer is always right. He was talking of a Growl or something close to it).
My second achievement was for weapons : I supplied a Roman soldier named Longinus the hardest spearhead on the market, even though he said it was for an enemy without protection…
My last achievement was for a furniture : a guy asked me to provide for a table big enough to welcome 12 people. I managed to find one, made of the best species, that was able to fit 13 people in.

If you really want to become an expert in Quality for every kind of good, buy this first tablet at 5 shekel. The next ones will be 10 shekels each.

machic
Seeker

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2020-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post by framer Wed May 27, 2020 4:48 pm

At Eds request here is my contribution as well. Congrats to Freya and my apologies to all iron smelters!

Parable of the Greedy Miner
Author: Tenzing

A miner had worked hard in the coal mine all week, when he realized he would have to go back to town to sell his coal and buy fresh supplies. After a poor dinner of dry bread he decided to pack the coal he mined in his handcart so he could be on his way first thing in the morning. Much to his dismay, the week's yield was only enough to fill his handcart halfway, which at most would earn him 10 pieces of silver. Disappointed by this prospect the miner slept a restless sleep that night, dreaming of wealth and riches.

He woke up at first sunlight and quickly went on his way. The road to town was long and the miner still tired from the lack of sleep, but well before noon he could already see the town on the horizon. Following a bend in the road he suddenly spotted a hermit sitting on a large rock besides the path, reading a book. Upon seeing the tired miner, the hermit stood up and greeted him warmly: "Greetings, friend miner! If you can spare but a moment to do an old man a kindness, would you sit with me and tell me of yourself?"

The miner welcomed the company of the old hermit after days of solitude in the mine and his tired legs could do with a break. He sat down on the rock and told the hermit of the harsh conditions in the coal mine, lamenting how his hard work yielded such meager reward and how he wished for a change in fortune.

The hermit pondered for a moment, then said: "I must continue my journey, but you stay and sit here for one hour and rest your tired limbs, friend miner. In one hour, when the sun shines upon your back, I promise you will find the fortune you so seek." With that, the hermit stood up and went on his way.

Though the miner was too skeptic to believe in such prophecies, the sun was warm and the weather pleasant so he decided to sit and rest for an hour more. Enjoying the warmth and calm, his mind again wandered to his hardships and all the things he would do if he ever found wealth. After what was at least an hour, a glimmer of light reflecting off one of the nearby rocks finally interrupted his thoughts.

The miner could not resist a quick look around to confirm no sudden riches had befallen him before walking over to his cart to continue his journey to town. But just as he was about to push his cart back on the road a fiendish smile formed on his lips; he could use those rocks that caught his attention for a most devious scheme! He filled his cart with as many rocks as it could carry, covering them with coal dust until they were inseparable from the real coal, and went on his way to town, gleeful with his own cleverness.

When he arrived at the smithy, the blacksmiths eyes went wide with surprise when he saw the amount of coal on the cart. The miner told him a tall tale about discovering a new vein of coal, richer than anyone had ever seen! The blacksmith happily agreed to pay no less than 20 silver pieces for the shipment and started unloading the cart right away. After just a few shovels the blacksmith paused, picked up a particularly large piece of coal, weighed it in his hand, then walked over to his quenching trough and dragged the lump through the water. Now clearly holding nothing but a worthless gray rock, the blacksmith burst into anger and took his purse back from the miner, threatening to report him to the town watch if he ever showed his face around the smithy again!

Dejected and desperate now that he had no money and lost his regular buyer, the miner did not have much choice; he would have to try and sell his coal to the only other tradesman with use for it, the iron smelter. A blessing in disguise thought the miner, as iron smelters are notoriously dimwitted and gullible. The miner quickly hatched another plan and set course to the smelter.

The miner put up quite a show for the smelter: He boasted how hard he had worked in the coal mine and how long his journey had been to bring it all the way back to town, only for the cruel blacksmith to try and swindle him on the price, claiming his coal was not good enough! Therefore the miner would rather trade with a respected businessman such as the iron smelter and offered to sell all his coal for a paltry 15 silver. The miner would even take care of unloading the cart for him! The unsuspecting iron smelter was easily taken in by the tale and quickly agreed to the trade.

Most content with the profitable deal and his 5 extra silver pieces, the miner headed over to the tavern to treat himself to a lavish meal with ale and wine. In the middle of enjoying his feast, who would he see enter the tavern but the hermit from that very morning. The miner hesitated for a moment, but then called the old man over to tell him that not much had come from his prophesy. The hermit looked puzzled, but before he could answer was interrupted by a consternation in the tavern when a man loudly proclaimed:

"Someone threw a rock into the smelters furnace and when the heat cracked it open it revealed a large diamond glimmering right at the surface! It must be worth multiple gold pieces!"

The expression on the hermits face turned to a knowing look as he told the miner:

"Friend miner, why look for fortune if you do not even know what it looks like?"

framer
Seeker

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2016-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Freya Thu May 28, 2020 6:45 pm

Thanks all! And hahaha, really like your contributions! Happy you publish them here!  study

Here's mine:

...there you are. You finally managed to leave your ranch and fields for a moment to collect some products from the market. Well, finally... It isnt exactly your favorite activity, is it? Dozens of people stroll around like a huge nest of ants, all kinds of rare items are catching your eye and in between everything the traders are shouting about their fantastic -once in a lifetime- deals. Woah... focus... dont get overwhelmed. Even your ranch full of hungry chickens feels like a oasis of peace in comparison with this! What did you need again?

At a faster pace you wander around. At the left you find yourself a fine blacksmith, the iron of the tools shining in the sun. They seem all firm, shiny and suitable for the work they have to do, but are they really? That trader's grin would even scare a tough warrior like the famous Apoclypze, you are sure.

"Selling belts! Best leather quality available!"

Aiks! With a little jump you manage to stabilize yourself. Curiosity kills cats, but well, you almost killed that tailor who shouted right next to you. With a quick look you scan his belts, journals, pillows and even some potions. A tailor? Doing alchemy? No wonder he sounds like an old witch! With a bit of an unease feeling you walk further onto the market...

Aaahh finally, a carpenter that didnt look like she wants to kill you. How would she be able even? A small woman with grey, almost white hair. Her hands shake a little bit and she doesnt even bother to shout. No, who would hear her next to all the vocal violence of the younger traders? Next to her you see a couple of barrels. Finally, barrels! Exactly what you need to brew some beer. The finest hops you grow yourself and after such a day at the market you definitely could use some beer, couldnt you?

Actually, you could use a few beers right now... Quickly you scan the barrels so you can leave this chaos and get drunk. Is the wood clearly rotten? No, any visible holes? Nah. Okay, time to get out of here. You pick the one closest by, pay the nice old lady and push the barrel to the ground to roll it back to your home.

Home! It was a bit of an obstacle course to avoid all the feet of the people, but you succeed. Just two people became mad after you bumped the barrel into their legs and you even managed to avoid the hands of the renowned thief, going by the name Dutch, reaching for your pockets.
By the Grail, why didnt you ask Wailer, the super socializer, to create a barrel and deliver it? No, you are stubborn, and you managed to get one all by yourself. Satisfied you put the barrel at the right spot in your workshop and prepare to add the hops and water.

Just as you fill the barrel with water, it completely collapses! When you look closer, you realize that the metal hoops holding the wood together are in fact strokes of metallic colored paper...

Outside your house a small crowd gathers, listening to your obscene curses and wondering what poor old lady deserves a visit from Udgar...
Freya
Freya
Seeker

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2019-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down