The Official Forum of The Grail Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new Squire [Closed to Umberlee]

2 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

A new Squire [Closed to Umberlee] - Page 4 Empty Re: A new Squire [Closed to Umberlee]

Post by Marcus Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:54 pm

Making the wooden weapons hardly took any time, especially compared to the bed. So once they were finished Marcus had time to do some other errands before returning to the cottage. Even with all that had happened the days before, he couldn't help but smile as he spotted her. It wasn't all bad to return home to a girl, but he still could not imagine married life as something for him. And Umberlee absolutely couldn't not be considered as anything close as married life.

His smile grew as it became clear what she was making. He liked the taste of apples and he hoped it wasn't just for her and her goose. "Hello." He greeted her, the first time they spoke today. "I hope you enjoy your day so far. When you are done cooking, we are going to have our first training." He knew little about the difference between cooking and baking and worried more about the tone of his voice. Part of him felt like he sounded way too polite for a knight talking to his squire and at the same time he had the feeling he sounded way too controlling. Why couldn't things be easier.

Marcus
Seeker

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2014-11-17

Back to top Go down

A new Squire [Closed to Umberlee] - Page 4 Empty Re: A new Squire [Closed to Umberlee]

Post by Umberlee Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:00 pm

Umberlee saw when he entered the cottage, a satchel full of supplies and foods.  He must have made his way to the goods market, and she was happy for that.  Not that he would buy anything she would buy, but anything was more then the almost nothing that was here in the kitchen these days.

His 'hello' almost made her chuckle but she did not show that.  So formal they were to each other, she felt almost like she should stop what she was doing and curtsy for the man that outranked her.  She opened her mouth, closed it again at the 'hope you have enjoyed your day so far..' and as he continued, she simply wiped her hands on her shirt and turned to look at him.

It was with a cool and formal tone she replied the following while looking deep set into his eyes, almost daring him with a silent defiance. "Hello Sir. Aye I was enjoying my day, thus far." she paused and in her mind added 'until you arrived back home'.  Then she continued, "I am baking and it is near done  It will take a bit of time on the hot rocks to finish, but I will do as you seem to have command and find you for our first training.  Do allow me a moment, I would ask for privacy but I do not have that in this house anymore. I wish to change from my clothes I baked in so that I can be ready for what you feel you can teach me." she turned again, walked right by him, and made her point by removing her shirt, showing off for him her entire backside as she found her rags which would be more appropriate for what she could only assume he wanted to train with.  

Those silly wooden sticks.

As she stood with her back to him for the only privacy the cottage offered her, she simply offered. "thank you for the bed in the middle of your cottage. I am sure it is quite inconvenient to have lost space and another body in your life.  I am pleased it is softer then the floor which I could easily have been given." she turned when she was proper and continued to look at him.  As if she was waiting for the next order.
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2015-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:52 pm

Marcus managed not to sigh at her words, but still very much had the feeling that she desired not only to invade his house and life but also steal his bed from him. Perhaps she did have a point, but there were better ways to get that across than the way she worded things. Some gratitude to the fact he let her stay here and had made her a bed would be appreciated but it felt like he would never get a real thank you from her. The thank you she did offer sounded very sarcastic.

He did look away when she removed her shirt even she was with her back to him and considered making her a divider so she indeed had some privacy, but feared there would be no real gratefulness to that either. "Well, just finish your baking, we can train after." He offered, although he could already imagine her taking offense to those words as well.
Marcus
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:54 pm

Marcus seemed to not even remotely understand her.  Not that it really mattered.  She too grew as frustrated with him, as he was with her.  She did notice he did not offer to help her find privacy, and that was to be a challenge for her.  If he really expected her to ask for more, when he had already given her much he was going to be sorely mistaken!   The spices and the apples melted together and the aroma was absolutely tempting!  

Umberlee could think of a hundred reasons to continue to bake and avoid training with him, but the inevitable was near, and she went to find him after all.  She had been self taught with many of her experiences, and swords and other such weapons were no exception.  She favored the sword, and worried because he choose the spear he would force that upon her too.  Time would tell, and today she did not have to worry about anything more then lack of privacy, him enjoying her thank you treat of the tart, and this damn wooden sword he was going to use for training.

Gods above she would be learning far more then weapons training she thought as she joined him.  She would be learning patience and other such 'Knightly' qualities that he had no idea she would have to endure.. or perhaps she had no idea what else would be discovered.

"So lets have our first lesson Sir." she said and looked at him forcing a cheesy smile, that seemed all to practiced already.
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:48 pm

Marcus nodded to her and soon they both faced each other with one of the wooden swords. He was a spear fighter and had most experience using that weapon, but if she thought he didn't know about swords then she was very mistaken. The previous days Marcus had shown very little that made him a knight, but that changed now.

Most people that trained others did one of two things. They either adjusted themselves to the skill of the one they were training, or they fought as they normally would and forced the other to adjust to their level. It was hard to say what worked better, but Marcus did the latter.

He put all his skill into his swordfighting and while he might be surprised with Umberlee's skill, he knew that at the same time she was going to surprised with his skill with the sword.
Marcus
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:31 pm

A bit of time past between the two of them. Knight and Squire both alike, seemed to offer the best for the first time facing each other.  Though Umberlee indeed was impressed with what was an unexpected skill from him, she knew he would be taken back even more by her own.  She was sweating and the feel of the two swords clashing against each other shook her arms to the point they were beginning to ache. 

She watched his eyes more then she would in normal conditions. There was a passion behind them she had dared not stare at before now.  She almost snarled as they countered back and forth, and she could tell that tomorrow would be a day that once again hurt her body with aches and pains.

"Be glad I made the tart before.." she managed between hits of the swords, "else I would be too tired to do so now.." she offered him, telling him she was indeed feeling the effects of their spar, but yet she continued pushing and grinding through the emotions and feeling. "Why do you choose the spear, when you are good with the sword?" she offered him a true compliment, as she took the spar back a bit with her movements even for only a breath...
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:26 pm

He grinned when she spoke. "Oh, I thought you were going to say that if you hadn't used some energy in your baking, I wouldn't have a chance against you now." He reacted, but of course he held the upper hand in this fight, but not as much as one would have expected. When she slowed down her assaults, he gave a nod and slowed down too, until there clearly was a moment of pause to allow them both a moment of recovery.

"The knight that trained me was exceptional with the spear as that had been his life. I got this spear from him, that is one reason." He said during their little rest. "A different reason is that iron is rather rare. If war comes, and in this world and during these times war is never too far away, and that will only get worse the closer people are to finding the Grail, it is good to have some people not dependant on iron. We all play our role in this world, one way or the other."

He then studied her further. "Who trained you?" She had been welcomed into his home without him knowing anything about her, and of course she had her right to privacy but it was clear she had received training at some point in her life.
Marcus
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:20 pm

Umberlee smirked a little at his comment but said no more.  She wished she was already good enough that she could claim he would not stand a chance against her, but sadly that was not the case.  It would do her very good to train with him, and she would gain and gain until indeed one day she would show him just how strong she could be.   That day would be a goal, and she listened as she caught her wind, and he spoke.

Iron indeed was rare, and she knew the frustrations of that.  Perhaps had she been able to build another ranch, she would have been able to successfully grown her own farm and not worried about life taking this direction. But everything had a reason, and though she did not understand it now, this too would show its reason before long.

She felt him looking at her, and she looked down at the wooden sword. It felt like it just got a hundred times heavier with the question and she shrugged and looked at him directly and daringly. "I have had no lessons with anyone. I have taught myself what I have shown you today.  Let us call it necessity, and leave it at that.  We are not friends, nor lovers that need too many secrets shared between us. We are Knight and Squire and we shall remain so.  If I am able to learn more I will gladly take what you offer. If I am doing such wrong, then it is no ones fault but my own." she gave the wooden weapon a swift twist with her wrist, making it appear to dance around her hand briefly before looking at him, and bowing softly.

"I will go take care of dinner.  Thank you for the spar." she added quietly and turned on her heel and left towards the little kitchen in the little cottage, in the middle of her own little hell.
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:30 pm

Marcus was too much thinking about her claim that no one had trained her, that he didn't realize that he hadn't meant to completely end the spar. By the time he did realize, there was no reason to call her back to continue. If she really hadn't been trained, then she would become one of the best knights in the Realm. But it felt more likely that she lied to him to keep her past secret. Of course she was allowed her secrets, but they would have to work on gaining trust between them and secrets and lies did not help with that.

And of course there was the issue of the beds. He had some ideas, but already knew it would be hard to find a solution that Umberlee didn't have issues with. Then another idea came to his mind, one that made him worry even more about Umberlee's reaction, but still he found it a pretty good idea.
Marcus
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Umberlee was thankful for the spar. She could not recall the last time she trained with anyone, let alone held such a vigorous exercise that he presented.  She liked that he did not go all out on her, and yet did not seem to assume she was new to the weapon.  They seemed to be a good match, and over time she would perhaps learn to appreciate even more of what he offered.  At least what he offered during the training sessions.

She finished making dinner, and was pleased with the tart.  It turned out perfect, and the apples and crust had just the right amount of golden kiss that made it seem irresistible. 

She placed it on the table and went out to call him in for dinner, the table was set, and she really did not know how dinner would go.  But she would try to talk to him, and at least show him she could be civil and thankful for what he offered.

He would be able to join her when he was ready, meals waiting on the plate, and Umberlee sitting in the chair at the table...
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:22 pm

Marcus allowed her some time to get everything ready and then joined her in the cottage. "It smells great" He offered with a smile, although his eyes seemed mostly drawn to the tart. His eyes were still on the tart when he sat down.

"So are you finding your way around in Camaar alright?" he then asked her, trying to have a conversation with her.
Marcus
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Umberlee looked up when he complimented the aroma in the cottage, she didn't crack a smile further, but waited until he seated to begin eating herself.  She looked up when he asked about her finding her way around town and she nodded.  "I am doing fine aye.  I have spent a long time in this town in my life.  What about you? Are you from here? Do you have family?" she asked him far more interested in learning about him, then sharing anything about her.  But then she wondered if he would ask about hers so she quickly also added another question, "You did not tell me how the boys family reacted to you returning him home, also, are we to spar together every day? Or do you have other training you are interested in me having?" she hoped that would defer the questions in her favor, and she looked up to him, having now shown the most curiosity about him since their meeting.
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:27 pm

The way Umberlee asked her questions, indeed very much worked in keeping him away from asking anything about her life. For now at least. "I very much believe the boys had a long talking to about the dangerous of the lake and how there won't always be a brave squire around to help them." He said with a smile, clearly relieved things had ended this well, when they easily could have been different. "We will indeed train together often, I am not sure yet if it will be every day or that it will be a spar each time. You clearly have a talent for it..."

For a moment there was the risk he was going to ask more about her life before, but he didn't. "But tomorrow we will go out of town and spend a few days in the nature. It will be dangerous from both wildlife and bad mannered people, but we will have each other to depend on. I will see what the town needs, perhaps some wood or meat that we can collect while we wander around."

It would be challenging to spend so much time together without the ability to leave each other. The world outside the city walls was just too dangerous for that as both of them knew. They would have to learn how to act together and to be depended on each other. And Umberlee would not be the only one to see a big challenge in that.
Marcus
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:29 pm

Umberlee listened and ate while Marcus answered her questions, and she nodded a little when he spoke of training together often. She did not react to his compliment of her talent, but she simply accepted it quietly.

The look on her face, and her colour paled a little when he spoke about leaving town and spending a few days in nature.  She wasn't sure what bothered her the most about it, but it certainly couldn't be the nature as she had spent many days alone under the stars and among the night life that awoke at such hour.    She put her food back onto her plate and look up at him, "But what about Iwin, you will have to ensure me his safety and well being are of priority otherwise I would not be doing a very good at being in charge as you wished of me over him." she stated looking directly at her Knight with pleading and concerned eyes.
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Of course Iwin had not really been on his mind when he came up with his plan to leave the town. It did make things more complicated, but still he nodded. "Of course, he will be one of the group and we will look over him too. I just hope he won't be too noisy at the wrong times, because there will be moments that silence is a better tool than a sword or spear."

Of course he did have some worries about how it would go with a goose following him. But on the other hand, if a group of bandits were alerted by a sudden noise, a goose might be a good excuse for it. Although then they might roast the goose above a fire.
Marcus
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:44 am

"Call him a Squires challenge to her Knight. I am sure he will be fine, but we cannot leave him here alone." she said and moved to the apple tart and served him a piece, and yet did not take one herself.  "I would like to have a bath again this night, I am going to go bring the water up. Would you wish one also?" she added and got up returning their dirty dishes to the counter, and paused for a moment before turning around. "I really am hoping we can find something so I can have privacy Marcus.  I know you feel I am an invasion into your life, and I should be grateful for what you already have done and given.  I am okay, but I really do not like feeling...." she struggled it seemed to find a word, and then looked down and said the word quietly, "exposed." she moved closer to him and instead of running off, she smiled a gentle smile and brushed a bit of apple that stuck against the side of his chin off with a gentle brushing of her thumb. "Just think about it please." and with that she was off to get water her little squawk box behind her trotted along happily.
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:20 pm

Giving her some privacy had already been on his mind and he had an idea how to hopefully help her with that, even while his cottage was just small and didn't have any more rooms than the ones she had seen. But her hand brushing against his chin did make him think more about it, while at the same time trying to figure her out.

"No... you can have a bath alone." He said after some silence, and of course he did not mean his comment the way it might come across. He wasn't sure what he would be doing while she had a bath, but he was not in the mood to make her do more work. Besides everyone knew that bathing too often was not healthy.
Marcus
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:56 pm

Umberlee grumbled about how he did not argue about her being an intrusion, and it made her feel even more annoyed at the situation then before.  She wondered as she wandered, and instead of letting it roll of her back, it festered like a seed of irritation inside of her.  "Ye know Iwin, I care not for him one bit.  What is going to make this work? I mean I am trying can he not see that? I made a tart, did he even say thank ye? Nae, he did not.  I have made him dinner since my arrival without a grumble, and I have taken to doing the cleaning.  For all of purposes sake I am like a wife te him without the bonuses of a man and woman of such thing!!" she blushed at that, and looked at her goose as she brought the fourth and final bucket towards the cottage to fill the bath.  "And what was this bath alone comment??? Did I invite him in with me? Nae the man is no Knight he be typical... I show a small amount of kindness and he mistakes me for a trollop as well!!! I am beyond frustrated.  I dinnae know what te think about him. He seems nice, but awkward and surely .... Oh Iwin perhaps I understand... perhaps it is the fact that I am indeed a woman!" she seemed pleased with that thought and wasn't even thinking further when the evening turned into twilight and she slipped from her clothes they sparred in and into the waters now warmed.  

It was pure heaven and she always felt safe and content in the water.  As she sat there she mused more. It is why the privacy did not seem to matter to him, it is why he seemed to attack her without a hesitation to her being female, it is why he seemed so completely taken back that she was a woman when she first arrived!!! It was why he did not notice when the shirt stuck to her form, showing off more then it properly should have.  It was why he did not seem to steal a glance when she removed her shirt fully..... It is why he did not seem to think of his words at dinner, and why he did not notice all the little things she was doing... it all was clear and perhaps finally they would have an understanding.

She smiled when her goose joined her, and she did not mind.  Some people mind find it disturbing but it had been a really long time since she had a best friend, and well since Marcus wouldn't find her fitting as that, she might as well make due with someone who offered unconditional love from the moment they met.   

"Ye and me Iwin, we will show him, now that I understand a little more, we will be able to ease the uncomfortable that has been unspoken.  It makes sense to why he has no wife and no children, he really is a good looking man otherwise." she offered to him, and leaned back and enjoyed the remainder of the warm water even slightly dozing off at times.
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:35 pm

Marcus had no idea on the musings of his squire, which was good or he might have laughed himself to death, or perhaps he wouldn't. Instead he worked himself in sweat again, working on yet another wood project during the short moment he could still be outside. It would be good to have longer days again and more hours to work.

The project he was working on was a wooden divider that Umberlee would be able to use to change herself behind and have some little privacy without making the room look even smaller than they already were. But with the lack of light he could only do very little and after that he just waited till Umberlee was done with her bath.
Marcus
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:24 pm

By the time the rocks and water cooled, she was shriveled and happy.  She returned into the cottage with a softness in her step and was glad the night had fallen upon them.  She moved to the kitchen, and helped herself to a small piece of apple tart.  After that she sighed a little and looked at the empty bed that was hers.  The first bed that she could claim fully her own.  But instead of the gratitude she felt an emptiness.  Quietly she and Iwin moved towards it, and she reached into her bag of stuff and pulled out a book that most would consider a journal.  To her it was drawings, and musings more then that, but there indeed were a few words written down.  Tonight she continued to doodle, a picture of her new pet, and she hoped he indeed would behave on the trip the next couple days.  The candle danced on the floor beside her, and she would soon find sleep, unless of course Marcus had other ideas.
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:57 pm

After the three of them had rested, one getting more sleep than the other, they filled the next morning with getting ready for their trip. When Marcus had the idea of them going out in the nature, he hadn't meant to do it immediately the next day. But as he had thought about it more, he realized that might be best. He hoped that their time together... and with Iwin, that he still called Irwin in his mind. He really didn't talk much to the animal so that Umberlee hadn't been able to correct him on the matter.

Umberlee was tasked with getting some food and bread ready for travel while Marcus gathered some other supplies and found them a task as well that they could do while out of town. Now that winter was slowly ending the first flowers and herbs could be found again. They would be paid for several herbs should they be able to gather them, not that they would have much to go on other than a simple description of what the things looked like.

But the main goal would be to learn how to work together and how to depend on each other. And on the goose. Sure, the goose too.
Marcus
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:18 am

Umberlee could pack all her belongings and all the food they needed in almost no time at all.  She would surprise Marcus as they went along with her knowledge of herbs, and flowers.  She enjoyed that stuff, and enjoyed the garden so surely in time they would have one unlike Marcus had ever seen before.

That thought entertained her enough she was actually in a good mood as she moved around the cottage with her pet as her shadow.  She truly enjoyed the companionship and Iwin was becoming as close to a best friend as Umberlee had ever had.  When he would squawk she would make a noise and reward him if he went quiet from it.  It wouldn't be an overnight fix, but she could find with patience a very trainable pet.  

Eventually she found Marcus and had everything ready to go for them.  There was no thoughts on what the days would be like, simply the moment now.
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Once they had found each other again at the cottage, it was time to start their adventure. They went to the city gate where it really wasn't very busy as hardly anyone was crazy enough to leave the safety of the town. There were two pairs of knights standing guard, and Umberlee recognized one of them as the guy she had 'spoken' too in the tavern the first day of her becoming a squire.

The man grinned as he saw her and that grin only grew as he saw her company of Marcus and the goose.
Marcus
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:34 am

Umberlee cringed seeing him again, and she felt the anger boil through her blood.  But she said and did nothing and just walked by with her head raised, and her eyes forward not looking back.  She really wished he would just go an get a life somewhere beyond this town, but since that was not possible, she only focused on forgetting everything that had happened.  She was glad she stuck up for herself, and even more glad that he seemed more bothered then she was about the evening.  

She remained silent for a long time, it was an awkward silence between them both, and it did not make for easy travels.  She was glad Iwin was with them, and she enjoyed watching him waddle along as happy as anything just to be in the company of his friends.
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:42 pm

The silence and awkwardness was nothing new but Marcus hoped that things would change by the time they went back into town. Once they were a bit away from the town's wall, both of them could feel the atmosphere change as the sounds of the world increased. Even Iwin seemed more nervous and with good reason. On the roads out of town people had to worry about bandits and robbers while there were different kinds of dangers away from the roads. Poisonous flowers and wild animal being the biggest threats.

"Let's go this way..." Marcus suggested after following the road for a bit but now turning to the nature, and letting them create their own way.
Marcus
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:02 am

Umberlee did not mind the further they got from the walls.  She was not naive enough to underestimate the dangers, but she was not new to travel either.  She had been in a few scraps, fought against a few dangerous animals and survived already.  She hoped her goose would make the trip without issues, and part of her was curious to see how their adventure would lay.

It wasn't too long before they were surrounded with only nature and the wild vines of the floor.  She knew so many but she did not share that information as of yet.  Though she did stop to gather some strong wet vines that she braided into a long leash as they walked.  She slipped it over Iwins neck, and even when he did not seem to like it too much, even he adapted as they went along.   

It was Umberlee who spotted the small field of wild lavender and she grew excited. It was such a wonderful relaxing scent and it was such a beautiful flower to make teas and oils with.  She and Iwin ran ahead and instantly she was on her knees snagging some of the flowers for her satchel.
Umberlee
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next