[CRP] The Forgotten Shawl: A Journey to Discovery

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[CRP] The Forgotten Shawl: A Journey to Discovery

Post by Brenainn on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Brenainn sat in the quiet of the tavern after everyone had left. He usually didn't go into the tavern much, prefering the quiet of his home on the edge of town. Often, he was either busy tending to his fields, or working in his smithy, or out in the woods and hills nearby exploring. Unfortunately, his last adventure into the hills had not gone that well, as he had been waylayed by some bandits. All he remembered of the encounter was some lout jumping out infront of him, waving a rusty sword. Bren thought the man foolish, and had begun to draw out his axe to deal with him, when he felt a heavy blow to the back of his head, saw stars, and then nothing. He woke to find himself laying on a bed in the town's hospital.

Once Bren was released from the hospital, he didn't feel like return home right away, which is how he came to find himself at the tavern. And that is how she walked into his life. At first, he thought it was just the pounding of his headache, but when she crossed the room and asked to sit with him, he knew she was no dream. She had introduced herself as Brana, and her voice had the lilt of his homeland. He felt himself sit up a bit more, and found that he was entranced in listening to her speak. Time seemed to pass as they sat and talked, and Brenainn's headache faded into the background, forgotten.

But all too soon, Brana had to leave, and after she had left, Brenainn sat back down and finished his drink. As he sat there, Bren's thoughts kept circling back to the fiery-haired Brana. Something about her tickled at his thoughts. Maybe it was because they both came from the same homelands; the lilt of similar accents; the same memories of shared landscapes. But that familiarity of ancestry wasn't the cause for his heart to beat just a touch faster, nor did it evoke any sense of homesickness. No, there was something else that seem to draw his thoughts back to her.

As Bren sat there, thinking, his eyes fell to the chair where Brana had been sitting, and his eyes spied something tangled at the back of the chair, almost invisible in the poor light of the tavern. Leaning forward, he reached out and picked up what turned out to be a knitted shawl. Blinking for a second, Brenainn remembered seeing her take it off as she had sat down, but didn't remember her putting it back on. Holding it in hands, he was filled with the sudden urge to rush out and find her and return it to her.

He sat there for maybe 10 seconds before standing up and, laying some coins on the table, headed for the door in an effort to catch her. Not once did it cross his mind that he didn't know where in town she lived.
Brenainn
Seeker

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: [CRP] The Forgotten Shawl: A Journey to Discovery

Post by Brana on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 am

Brana whistled softly as she slowly made her way through the town's narrow streets, not wishing to return to the room she had rented. The soft Celtic tune floated on the breeze ahead of her as she nodded and smiled at each passerby, the sense of comfort slowly filling the space that the uncertainty once held.

Wandering aimlessly for what seemed like moments, though the sun - or lack there of - would refute that, she let her thoughts drift back to the mysterious man, Brenainn. There were so many questions she wished she had asked him; ranging from what appeared to be the severe physical pain he was in, to how he had noticed her.

Finding herself in what appeared to be the town square, she took pause, the tune falling silent, as she looked around. Slightly disoriented, and distracted by her lingering thoughts of Brenainn, she took a deep breath and headed back towards the area she thought the rented room would be.
Brana
Seeker

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenainn on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Brenainn stepped out into the late afternoon from the tavern, holding Brana's shawl in his hands. He looked to his left first, then to his right, hoping to catch sight of her. But she was not to be seen. He realized that some time had passed between when she had left, and him finding her shawl and deciding to try and return it to her.

Bren stood there, uncertain of where to go. Looking back and forth, he decided to turn towards where he knew some lodgings were on the far side of the town square. As he began to walk through the narrow streets, Brenainn heard a faint sound of music being played. He paused again, tilting his head to try and catch the sounds a little bit better. 'Is that...,' he thought, 'is that a tune from home?' Brenainn wondered about it, and resumed walking down the road, the sound of the music always just at the edge of his hearing. He felt his steps quicken a bit, until he turned a corner and arrived at the town square, only to have the music fade away.

Brenainn paused, and looked around trying to locate where the music had come from.
Brenainn
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brana on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:20 pm

The wind kicked up as the sun continued to set, her thoughts still preoccupied by Brenainn. She began to wonder if she would see him again, and when. Beginning to whistle the tune once more, she closed her eyes and walked on slowly, letting instinct be her guide. Her 'Da had always told her that her heart would lead her home, wherever home was. Smiling softly she thought, After all, it did bring me here to Camaar.

Opening her eyes, she took pause and looked around, none of the doors looked familiar, nor did any of the houses. Scratching her head in confusion, she gently gnawed on her lower lip. Where am I? she pondered, growing increasingly concerned as the sun all but disappeared behind the peaks of the houses. Brana took a deep breath and whistled a happier tune, mentally pushing the darkness away as she retraced her steps, wondering why she ended up at what appeared to be the edge of town.
Brana
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenainn on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:36 am

Brenainn looked around the town square, but did not see anyone in the early evening light. 'Hmmm, everyone must be at home for dinner,' he mused. At that thought, Bren's stomach decided to growl a reminder that it, too, needed filling.

Taking a final glance looking for the musician, Brenainn turned and crossed the square and headed down the street that lead towards his home, carrying Brana's shawl in his hands.

As he walked closer towards his home, Bren began to again hear someone whistling a tune from homeland. Slowing his steps a bit, he turned his head to try to locate where the sound was coming from, but the evening's breeze and the narrow lanes made it hard to tell where the music was coming from. The happy sound brought back memories from sitting around the clan's hall, with the village's bard providing entertainment during the long winter evenings. Smiling at the memory, Brenainn turned a corner, half listening to the music, half lost in memories, and pulled up with a start as he almost collided with someone who was turning the same corner.

Reaching out to steady the person after the startled each other, Brenainn began to apologize when he realized that he was holding the arm of the mysterious woman he had met earlier in the tavern. The lady who's shawl he carried. Brana.

"Um... hi," he said, and then winced. 'Oh nice, Bren, oh so elequant,' he thought to himself.
Brenainn
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brana on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 am

The tune Brana had been whistling stopped abruptly after nearly colliding with someone in the twilight. Before she could gather herself, she felt the firm comfort of a hand wrapped around her lower arm. Relaxation poured into her as she slowly raised her eyes to meet the gaze of the stranger. Only it wasn't a stranger, but the man who had all but consumed her thoughts, Brenainn.

"Um... hi," he said to her, instantly bringing an easy smile to her face. Hello again Brenainn, her smile growing broader, I think I may be a little lost... she continued sheepishly, can you help me get back to the rented rooms?
Brana
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenainn on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Brenainn stood there, holding her arm as she smiled and said something to him, which didn't register for a few seconds. When he realized that she had asked him about the rented rooms, Bren felt his face heat up, and was thankful for the early evening's falling shadows. Blinking and clearing his throat, he nodded in reply.

"Of course I can, Lady Brana." He smiled brightly back in response to her dazzling smile.

Brenainn paused again, finding himself getting lost in her eyes, and gave himself a mental shake, and lifted up the shawl he was carrying in his free hand. "Um, I believe that you left this behind earlier. I was just trying to return it to you." Just as he held it up to her, his stomach gave a loud protest, and Bren found himself flushing again.

Last edited by Brenainn on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brenainn
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brana on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:48 am

As Brana reached for her shawl the loud rumblings of an empty stomach emanated from Brenainn. Her fingers brushed his lightly as she replied, Thank you Brenainn, I guess my thoughts were elsewhere... and I... she stammered, I suppose I left this behind... her voice trailed off as a flush crept up her cheeks. Her gaze not wavering from his, she slipped the simply knitted shawl over her shoulders and asked, Did ye need to find something to eat?
Brana
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenainn on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Brenainn flushed at the loud gurgle that his stomach as he met Brana's gaze, and he swore he could see a hint of a smile when she asked him, "Did ye need to find something to eat?"

"I suppose that I should. Broth, bread and water be fine, but don't fill you up."

Bren paused again. "Have ye dined yet?"he asked, holding his breath, then kicked himself again, realizing that there was no way she could of so quickly, especially since she hadn't made it back to her lodgings as of yet.

Last edited by Brenainn on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brenainn
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brana on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:29 am

Brana shook her head no, Nae, not a bite, not since mid-day. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and smiled, Do you know of a place to grab a quick bite? I dunna think I have any food back in my room...
Brana
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenainn on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:10 pm

Brenainn found himself slightly entranced with the simple gesture Brana made by just tucking in a strand of hair behind her ear. Blinking and clearing his thoughts, he smiled and nodded. "Aye, there's an Inn across from the town square is close by. I was going t'go to my house, but just realized that I've nae been home in almost a week, and don't have anything there. May I join you?"

Last edited by Brenainn on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brenainn
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brana on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:51 am

Brana smiled broadly, Of course you may! As long as you lead the way!
Brana
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenainn on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 pm

She smiled which lifted Brenainn's heart and set it beating, then turning, he offered her his arm. "This way, M'lady!"

Brenainn lead Brana back the way he came, to the town square, and then across it to a two story building with sign outside with a slightly faded depiction of a bull with a bird on it's shoulder, with small lettering below identifying it as 'Ye Old Bull and Finch'. Stepping forward slightly, he took hold of the door and opened it for her. "After you," and offered her a slight bow.

Last edited by Brenainn on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brenainn
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brana on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:55 am

Brana laughed lightly as she walked through the door, not used to the type of attention Brenainn had been giving her. After her eyes adjusted to the light inside the tavern, she chose a table along the wall near the crackling fireplace. Once settled in her seat, she watched as the barmaid ambled toward them, looking to Brenainn, she waited to see what he would order before making a decision.
Brana
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenainn on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Brenainn followed Brana into the Inn, pausing only a moment to let his eyes adjust to the interior light, and then followed as she lead him near the fireplace. Sitting down, he turned toward her just as the barmaid arrived at their table.

'What can I get you?'

Brenainn looked briefly toward Brana, only to see her watching him. Smiling up at their serving girl, he asks, "Can we have two mugs of mead to start with? And what do you have from the kitchen t'night?"

The serving girl looked him, and replied. 'Well, we have roast rabbit stew, with potatoes. Bread with butter. Also have slow-roasted ox over a spit, with gravy. Oh, and a leek and carrot soup. What will ye have.'

Brenainn pondered for a moment and then looked at Brana. "What would ye like? The rabbit stew sounds good."

Last edited by Brenainn on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brenainn
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brana on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:34 am

Aye, it does sound good, Brana smiled up at him, with a few thick slices of bread an' butter?
Brana
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenainn on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Brenainn looked at her and smiled, "Aye, with a few thick slices of bread an' butter."

Turning back to the serving girl, he was about to repeat their order, "An'..." only to see her crossing the room. Chuckling a little, he turned back to Brana with a sheepish grin, "I guess she got the order."

Moments later, the serving girl brought them their drinks before retreating to the kitchen. Taking his mug, he lifted it in Brana's direction. "Slainté," and her echoed reply, sipped the contents.

Setting down his mug, Bren gazed at Brana, backlit by the light of the fire. "So, what brings ye so far from home t'Camaar, Lady Brana?"

Last edited by Brenainn on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brenainn
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brana on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:59 am

Brana chuckled lightly as Brenainn began to order, not realizing that the serving girl had already begun to walk back towards the kitchen. After a quick toast, Brana took a small sip from her mug. The liquid was bubbly and warm and tickled her throat as it slid to her belly. What brings me to Camaar, she thought as she took a larger sip. Well, Brana began, other than the ship and my feet...and occasionally a cart, she smiled slightly, a sense and need of something different, a bit of adventure I suppose. Taking another long sip she continued, With 'Da passing and no kin, she sighed, and all me friends being married and having wee ones, there was nothing tying me to the village. So... I decided to be a bit brave and see what was beyond the stone walls. She fiddled with the now empty mug a little before asking, And you? What brings you here?
Brana
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenainn on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Brenainn waited as Brana sipped her drink, and paused before replying. Well, she began, other than the ship and my feet...and occasionally a cart,, to which Bren chuckled, as that was exactly how he came to be in town, a sense and need of something different, a bit of adventure I suppose. He nodded slowly, what she was saying echoing a chord within him.

He continued to listen to her tale, and when she asked him what brought him here, he lifted his mug and sipped it slowly, finishing it off before setting the now empty mug on to the table.

"Well," he started out slowly, "some of the same as ye said. A need for something different, a sense of adventure. He..."

Brenainn paused, as their serving girl brought out their supper. And indicating that they'd like 2 more mugs, he turned back to Brana, and resumed as if they hadn't been interrupted. "I remember every winter growing up, we used t'have wandering bards, and especially one old man who'd come t'spend the winter in the village. We'd always gather into the hall to listen to him spin tales of heros, such as Cù Chulainn, Brian Boru, and even hear him tell tales of far off legends of King Arthur, and Vercingetorix." Taking a sip of his mead, Bren continued. "I always dreamed of being a hero Cù Chulainn growing up, so when I came of age, I set off t'find my fame and adventure."

Picking up his spoon, he gave Brana a smile, wry smile. "Though, t'be honest, I've not found the kinda adventures that the bard told. He never spoke of being wet and cold, and covered in mud from the road."
Brenainn
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brana on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:15 am

She listened quietly to his tale, carefully blowing on the stew to cool it before taking a mouthful."Though, t'be honest, I've not found the kinda adventures that the bard told. He never spoke of being wet and cold, and covered in mud from the road." Brana nearly choked on her stew as she heard him confess the truth behind his adventures, the laughter caught behind a chunk of rabbit. Pounding on her chest as tears stream down her face, she can't help but imagine him covered in muck from head-to-toe.
Brana
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenainn on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:55 am

He smiled as Brana laughed with him over his mis-adventures in the mud, when she seemed to hiccup and hearing her inhale. Peering over, Bren felt a small measure of alarm as Brana began to pound her chest, tears streaming down her cheeks. Quickly setting down his spoon, Brenainn half-jumped out of his chair and quickly knelt next to her.

"Are ye okay?" he asked her concerned.
Brenainn
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brana on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:00 am

Holding up her hand and nodding her head to indicate she was fine, Brana pushed past the fit of giggles long enough to swallow the chunk of meat. I'm so sorry, she wiped her tears away, I just couldn't help but picture you covered in muck! Leaning over she places her hand on his, N'er fear, I believe the same bard traveled through our village many a time and lured some young lads away, though what happened to them, we n'er know... smiling up at him she continued, though gladly, we know what happened to ye...
Brana
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenainn on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:04 am

Brenainn was relieved that it was nothing more serious, and and a slow smile creep across his face as she spoke of her humour, him covered in muck!

He chuckled as she wiped away her tears, and then froze momentarily as her hand came to rest over top his, and it felt as if a rush of adrenaline surged through his body, emanating from that simple touch of Brana's hand on his.

Finding his eyes drawn to her's, he listens as she smiles up at him and tells his the similar story of the bard and foolish young men such as himself. Then Brana says, Though gladly, we know what happened to ye...

Smiling back at her, not wanting to break the touch of her hand, Bren nods. "Aye, I landed in a far off town, covered in mud, standing in the rain. Fortunately, Ma did teach me enough t'get out of the rain that day. And hopefully a little wiser."
Brenainn
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brana on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:15 am

Aye, taught ye nae to be in the rain, but nae how to stay out of the muck! Brana chuckled again as she gently teased him. Though I do have to ask ye, what made ye send me that shell?
Brana
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brenainn on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Brenainn liked the way she seemed to be teasing him, and he chuckled quietly as he returned to his seat.

Though I do have to ask ye, what made ye send me that shell?, Brana asked.

Bren picked up his drink and took a sip, pondering how to answer her question. Setting down his mug, he picked up his spoon and slowly scoops up some stew, before setting it back down. Looking into her eye, searching for them, trying to find the words to express what had spurred him to do it.

"When I saw you come into town, I had an overwhelming sense of recognition, like I knew you, that we had met before. I couldn't help myself, but I ended up following ye to the lodging house, trying to remember where I had met ye before." Looking down at his cooling stew, Brenainn picked up his spoon again and ate some of his dinner. Looking back up, he saw that Brana was continuing to listen to him.

"Well, after I followed ye," he said with a small blush, "I wandered about and found myself at the market. As I looked at the wares on the table before me, I saw the seashell. Something about it reminded me of you, and before I thought more about it, I had bought it, and asked one of the lads there t'deliver it to you." Flushing a bit more, Bren looked down where he was stirring his spoon in the stew. Saying quietly, so only she would hear him, "Fer some reason, I just felt that ye would like the shell."

Feeling slightly foolish, Bren started to dig into his stew before it got too cold.
Brenainn
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top