The Official Forum of The Grail Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meal stats - diminishing returns?

5 posters

Go down

Meal stats - diminishing returns? Empty Meal stats - diminishing returns?

Post by Aaron Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Mmmmmm...Yummie!
You ate your Delicious Meal and immediately feel the positive effects of it!
Your mood increased with 4 Points.
You gained 0.02 experience on your Strength Skill.
You gained 0.02 experience on your Strength Skill.
You gained 0.016 experience on your Intelligence Skill.
You gained 0.016 experience on your Intelligence Skill.

Is this intentional? I think it probably happened when I passed 20 int (happened quite a while ago, but I haven't really paid attention, which would explain why I only noticed now). Isn't raising personal stats hard enough even without diminishing returns? I've been playing for close to 4 years, and my highest stat aside from Learning is only approaching 22. Granted, I've been raising 8 different stats...
Aaron
Aaron
Seeker

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Meal stats - diminishing returns? Empty Re: Meal stats - diminishing returns?

Post by Axel Ackland Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:52 pm

The personal stat skills are like every other skill besides learning (not sure about combat Razz).  So your exp goes down 1/5 at 20, 40, 60, 80.  It is hard to raise them, but soups made it way easier than it was before.

Axel Ackland
Seeker

Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2010-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:32 am

So from 80% to 100% it's going to be 0.004 per meal ingredient? Even if you're eating grail meals with 5 ingredients and ONLY eating that one ingredient that raises the stat you want, it's going to take 1000 days to get that last 20%. Isn't that overdoing it a bit? Is this game designed to be literally a lifelong experience?
Aaron
Aaron
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Axel Ackland Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:54 pm

Yeah but like I said there are soups too.  So it'd take much less than that.  You can also drink extra soups if your decedance is high..

Personal stat skills are not meant to be an easy thing to master, and I believe it's intended to purposefully prevent a player from mastering every stat.

Axel Ackland
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:57 pm

I get that, but I think it's going overboard. If maxing just one stat, putting your everything into it, will take a decade or so, you might as well cap the stats to 60% or so, because realistically, no one is probably going to reach higher than that within the lifespan of this game. I mean, who really puts their everything in just one stat?

And as for soups, are they not subject to the same diminishing returns as meals?
Aaron
Aaron
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Axel Ackland Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:49 pm

No they still are.  Only soups give double the exp than an ingredient made in a meal.

I also thinking raising a variety of skills is more useful than concentrating on a single one because of the loss of efficiency, but I do know at least one person with 60+ phys resis. Which is one of the more difficult skills to raise as you can only drink milk and not meals (and milk gives exp like meals and unlike soups).

Axel Ackland
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:00 pm

Difficult? You can drink 5 bottles a day, which equals a grail meal - in addition to your regular meal. I think it's the easiest personal stat to raise (after Learning), since you don't need to sacrifice precious ingredient spots from meals on it. Milk is also plentiful, unlike soups and meals on the market. Since meals on the market are so rare, I figure most of us have had to train our cooking skill, and it takes time to reach Grail level, while you can drink 5 milk a day pretty much from the start.
Aaron
Aaron
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Axel Ackland Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:40 pm

If you have an infinite amount of resources phys resis is harder than most other stats.  It's not necessarily easier because costs and supplies differ.

But I have the resources to eat a 4 piece meal I cook each day, and drink all the soups I can.  If I wanted to do veggies I could get .28 exp in charisma each day at least.  Whereas since armor has been nerfed I've had to start raising my phys resis. I've found it much more difficult since I can only gain .1 exp in phys resistance each day.

Axel Ackland
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:05 am

Sure, if you have infinite resources. But when you start playing, you have limited resources and limited cooking ability, so you can sort of get a headstart for physical resistance if you want. Also, you have to divide your meals with however many stats you want to increase (7 for me), while drinks were solely for milk before the soups came, so more of a headstart for older players there.
Aaron
Aaron
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by AxineeHearth Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:47 am

Aaron wrote:I get that, but I think it's going overboard. If maxing just one stat, putting your everything into it, will take a decade or so, you might as well cap the stats to 60% or so, because realistically, no one is probably going to reach higher than that within the lifespan of this game. I mean, who really puts their everything in just one stat?

And as for soups, are they not subject to the same diminishing returns as meals?

It makes perfect sense. Like in real life, it is impossible to master all fields of expertise, to be the most agile and strong etc etc at the same time. If it would only take 3-4 real life years to max out all stats, the game would be a complete bore. Now we are facing tough decisions on what route to take, and that makes for a more interesting game. We're depending on others with other kinds of expertise to help us out.  Very Happy 

just my 2 bronze...

AxineeHearth
Seeker

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2016-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:57 pm

What about "going overboard" do you not understand? I'm not saying all stats should be maxable in 3-4 years, I'm saying ONE stat shouldn't take a DECADE to master. Instead of dropping 0.004 points each time, how about dropping it 0.002 points, so that in the last 20%, you get 0.012 per meal ingredient, instead of 0.004. I'm just calling for some moderation.
Aaron
Aaron
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by anto_capone Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:18 pm

Agreed, is kind of frustrating when the pay to win bypass literally cuts off years of stat build as well.. Neutral
anto_capone
anto_capone
Retired Good Guy

Number of posts : 1157
Registration date : 2009-11-13

http://NNGO.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:40 pm

Ah, yes, there's that as well. :/
Aaron
Aaron
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracula Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:49 pm

You would have hated 6 years ago then, learning used to be gained at 0,01-0,04 a day

Dracula
Seeker

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down