Pickpocketing

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pickpocketing

Post by Lord Arogandor on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:49 am

Somewhere after the Easter Event, we will activate the new option to pickpocket. This post is made to inform you about pickpocketing.

What?
Pickpocketing is stealing money from another Seeker. The Victim must been active, not on a vacation, not in disguise and in the same town.
- Pickpockets can only happen on crowded places => only in towns.
- Only money can be stolen, nothing else.
- The amount stolen varies between 1% and 4% of what the victims money.
- This action will cost the thief 20 stamina and only one attempt each hour can be made.

Chances
The chance on success and getting caught depend on the Pickpocketing Skill.
- Chance on success: 10% base + 0.7% for each point on the Pickpocketing Skill.
- Chance on getting caught: 90% - 0.7% for each point on the Pickpocketing Skill.

Being seen
The chance on being seen is independent of the fact you managed to steal money or not.
When caught the victim has 50% chance on noticing the thief (the victim will receive an event & option to report the thief).
In addition, all people currently in town have 10% to notice the thief at work as well (those who seen the thief will also receive an event & option to report).

Reported & Jailed
Starting from the moment of the theft a timer starts running for 48hours. In this period of time the crime must be reported and handled. If not, the thief gets away. When a theft get reported on time, the Councillor responsible for the town security can arrest the thief. When the thief still is in town, he/she will be sentenced to Jail for a period of time. The duration of the period depends on the amount that got stolen and the reputation of the thief. The stolen money will NOT been given back to the victim but to the Town instead. The town is free to refund the victims if they want. Towns will have to work out some rules about pickpocketing. Maybe in some towns its perfectly legal to steal from visiting Seekers.

Extra Information
- You can't fight the thief.
- If you didn't get caught, you didn't get recognized neither, nobody knows who stole the money.
- You don't HAVE to report the thief if you don't want. Nobody knows you've seen it happen.
- Corrupt Councillors don't HAVE to jail the thief.
- Failed pickpocketing affects the mood of the thief.

Further Future Updates
- Bounties and manhunts for when thief managed to escape towns.
- Housing & Vaults to protect your money and other valuables.
- Robbing Seekers on the map.

If you have more questions, please post them here and I will try to answer them.

Number of posts : 2487
Registration date : 2008-09-19

http://www.thegraillords.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Pickpocketing

Post by Aaron on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:50 pm

"- The amount stolen varies between 1% and 4% of what the victims money."

Wait, what!? You realise that some of us have considerably more money than others. All pickpockets will naturally target people who have been around for a long time, as the returns will be considerably better with no change in the risk. 20 stamina isn't too bad if the reward for success can be 20+ silver. I think it's an exceedingly bad idea to make the size of the haul relative to the target's wealth. Unless the risk is also proportional to the target's wealth...
Aaron
Seeker

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Keliha Greyson on Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:04 pm

I believe you can't choose your target, so you may get a new player with 10 copper or you may get an elder with 500 gold.  Either way, I have begun working on ways within existing mechanics to get around this, from the victims side that is.  At least until vaults are added.  I'm sure Axel will have the same thought I do though.

Keliha Greyson
Seeker

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2011-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Axel Ackland on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:58 pm

Ohhh sweet  :$:

I hope you can choose your target, really makes it more interesting.  I think its a good thing, Aaron, it will make it much more unlikely for new players to get robbed at all, which is more preferred by me anyway.  

I am curious as to the jail penalty points you'll get when you're caught.  And whether or not it increases with amount stolen, as well as if it was successfully stolen and noticed or not successfully stolen.  I'm also not sure on the "chance of getting caught" being 90% while the chance the victim sees you is 50%   Would it be more accurate to phrase that as "chance of failure"?  That's if you mean its the chance to be unsuccessful, and not be jailed/prosecuted.

Some things I'd like to be considered would be...

-Small increases to chance of success based on any or all of the following skills: luck, speed, agility, patience, charisma, intelligence, and disguise.

-Small increases to potential money stolen based on pickpocketting skill and (maybe) luck skill.

-Decrease of chance to be seen by others based on disguise skill and charisma skill and (maybe) luck skill.

It would be cool if some of those skills could retroactively work to help shield yourself a small amount from pickpocketing, but that might take a long time to do.  And yes, it would be cool to add "safes" that can store certain amounts depending on the quality, it may be possible to have multiple safes.

Axel Ackland
Seeker

Number of posts : 912
Registration date : 2010-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Helfdane on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:02 am

We should most definitely be able to kill a thief we catch stealing from us.

Seeker

Number of posts : 977
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by anto_capone on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Helfdane wrote:We should most definitely be able to kill a thief we catch stealing from us.

I like Axel's ideas, but I also think there might be some opportunity for some pvp in this perhaps?

This will be interesting to try out for sure. ^^
anto_capone
Retired Good Guy

Number of posts : 1151
Registration date : 2009-11-13

http://NNGO.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor on Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:27 pm

- The thief always picks his/her target, so there is nothing random in that.
- The cool-down time to try and steal again will be 2hours instead of 1hour.
- There will be a maximum limit of money (for example: 5 silver) that can be stolen at once.
- Victims won't be able to "kill" or fight the thief due 2 practical reasons. First, the victim most likely won't be online when he/she get stolen. So by the time he/she realizes, the thief is gone. And as justice does its work, people will not start killing each-other in the town streets (yet). Second, there is no pvp build yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by daradle on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:47 pm

Does being "in disguise" in a town have any impact of the chance of being caught/being seen?

daradle
Seeker

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:57 am

Good Question.

So far, people in disguise can't be targeted to steal from. For the thief, there is no influence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Keliha Greyson on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:23 pm

I would like to suggest just for fun having a "Market dive" option, where you have a chance to pickpocket from an NPC guard(Who auto reports if they catch you, and has a chance to apprehend too), someone in disguise at random(Just for added fun and maybe have it a choice between ignoring the thief or revealing they're illegal unregistered visit-possibly allowing double gain just to make it an added risk vs reward of tax dodging as such), or losing 10 hp because you angered the local cockney pickpocket gang.

Keliha Greyson
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor on Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:26 am

Eh Keliha, I'm not really understanding your suggestion. Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Helfdane on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:36 am

I didn't understand it, either.

Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Keliha Greyson on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:59 pm

Er....so, since you can't target by name people in disguise while in town(Presumably because they're in disguise) may have an option to go to market and just go about picking random pockets of travelers and stuff.  This would have three possible outcomes:

1. Pickpocket a guard.  You get some cash from the guards pocket, if he sees you it auto reports(Normal stuff) but there's also a chance he'll grab you and jail you on the spot.

2. Pickpocket a disguised traveler.  This is someone traveling in town who you pickpocket from.  For extra fun maybe have a max of 10 silver pickpocketed from them(To encourage extra risk and maybe represent how they're not in town legally) and force them to either ignore the incident if they catch you, or reveal they're in town by reporting you(Removes disguises and other fun from sneaking in town illegally).

3. Other NPC market pickpocketers, cockney being specific group of english people who in some movies and books are stereotypical pickpockets as children in cities, get mad at your activities and beat you up gang fight style for 10 hp loss and no cash gain.

Keliha Greyson
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by daradle on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:03 am

Why would pickpocketing in the market specifically allow the theft exclusively of players in disguise? Surely everyone - residents, visitors, people in disguise, NPCs - in the market is at risk of pickpockets if you're going to allow a general "pickpocket in the marketplace" option.

daradle
Seeker

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Keliha Greyson on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:17 am

Honestly, I don't see why if your pickpocketing you'd specifically choose a mark in the first place.  So I figured this opens up other targets than the specifics marks-you avoid the well known seekers and go for everyone else.

Keliha Greyson
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by karel on Sat May 02, 2015 2:21 pm

How about one person targeting one person?

karel
Seeker

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor on Mon May 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Additional information concerning Pickpocketing and getting arrested for the crime:
- When you get arrested being still in town, your Town Reputation decreases with 100 points.
- when you managed to leave town before the arrest warrant, your Town Reputation decreases with 200 points.
- Prison Penalty: 300 + stolen money + (100 - your reputation/100).
- When escaped the town, your crimes are remembered for 14 days. After that, the crime is "forgotten" by the system.
- When arrested, you will be punished for all the remembered crimes.

Back to top Go down

Post by karel on Thu May 28, 2015 12:27 pm

28th of May 2015 15:25Somebody tried to pickpocket some money from you!
But instead, that clumsy thief dropped 25 Bronze into your purse!
You realize that criminals can Pickpocket from now on!

zzomg

karel
Seeker

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracula on Thu May 28, 2015 4:47 pm

I think that's aros way of saying "secure yo crap man"

Dracula
Seeker

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Helfdane on Fri May 29, 2015 1:58 am

Same happened to me today.

Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor on Fri May 29, 2015 3:23 pm

Eh...

Everybody got 25 bronze and this event. It was my way to make sure, you all got aware of the fact that this update got activated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Helfdane on Sun May 31, 2015 2:44 am

Oh, I see.

Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Sun May 31, 2015 11:45 am

We should have skill increases when we decide to report or ignore a crime ^^ (I am sure there is something suited that goes well with it Wink)
Marcus
Seeker

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2014-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor on Sun May 31, 2015 2:22 pm

Hmmm,
Do you have anything in mind?

Back to top Go down

Post by Helfdane on Sun May 31, 2015 9:35 pm

I actually would love to see a counter skill to Pickpocketing, that gives you a higher chance of avoiding the pickpocket as well as catching them to report. A skill that can only be trained in the Academy or learned when you are attempted to be picked by a player.

Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum