A new Squire [Closed to Umberlee]

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A new Squire [Closed to Umberlee]

Post by Marcus on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Marcus watched as Umberlee walked back to the remains of the fire and then at the goose. It was difficult to decide what he should do, but knowing Umberlee she wouldn't need or want his help. So instead he explored the surroundings a bit, knowing there had to be water nearby.

By the time they returned to Umberlee Iwin was mostly clean again and seemed rather happy to 'run' over to his friend again. Marcus was slower to follow, once again not sure how to act or what to say. Women were difficult creatures.

Marcus
Seeker

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2014-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:42 am

Umberlee shuddered and took a few moments while they were gone.  She just let out a few breaths, and the moments passed as soon she heard her pet running and making soft honking noises as he came towards her.

She dreaded looking at him again, the image of him all covered in blood and bits of rabbit would be that of nightmares for her, but when she turned she saw him almost back to normal, clean and happy ...not a feather was missing and she scooped him up and hugged him close. 

Marcus got to watch her joy at seeing the animal back to normal, and her soft scolding of the animal for doing such a disgusting thing in the first place!!!

She stood, moved towards Marcus, and though she was shorter then he, she was able to step onto her tip toes and place a kiss on his cheek gently.  "Thank'e for cleaning him. I dinnae think I could have ever done so.  It took me off guard.  I am not good with that amount o'blood.... It reminds me of when I lost my father." she gave him, and went to cleaning up their small camp.

It was the first time she saw Marcus as someone who wasn't a chore to be with. But a man, who even seemed to have a gentle side.  Her eyes softened a bit, and she was hoping that for now, he wouldn't ask further about her father. But she would open that story when the time came.
Umberlee
Seeker

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2015-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:53 pm

Marcus watched with a smile how she treasured her pet and was happy to have helped her some. Still he dreaded when she came closer, quite sure she was going to yell at him for killing a rabbit and having Iwin end up like that, as if he could have prevented the goose from finding the remainder of the rabbit.

It was a surprise when she instead kissed him and thanked him. More shocking was the fact she shared something personal. Of course he felt worried with what she was saying about her father, but he wasn't going to ask about that. Not now at least. If she wanted to talk about it she would do so.

"It... it is nothing. You would have done it yourself soon enough, you are strong and passionate about Iw... your goose. But you seemed to need a moment to yourself so I figured I could do it." He clearly was a bit ashamed of how he had talked to the goose before and tried to look a bit more distant. Talking to and caring for animals was not his thing.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:35 pm

Umberlee noted how he disengaged the name of the goose, to further distant himself from it, and she sighed inside.  Surely it wasn't difficult to love something other then a human.  But then again, perhaps it was difficult for him to love even that.  She took a few moments to pack up their things, and make sure the fire was out.  "Perhaps in the future as well Marcus, you can bury what is left of what you kill.  That way even as it attracts other things, it wont be such a scene.  I can help with that if you need it.  Though I much rather would not kill too many animals unless we need to." that is all she said, and then continued, "I think we should find ourselves moving closer to the river.  Then we will have better luck finding what we need." she looked at him, and noted the small dark stubble on his cheek.  She could still feel the tiny whiskers of him against her lips.  The sensation was odd, and curiously lingering.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:30 am

Marcus nodded. "That sounds like a good plan." He agreed. His cheek still felt the spot she had kissed him and he had to admit to himself that it was much nicer than all the times she had complained about his actions. She even had voiced her opinion without a clear assault this time.

Once the fire was out they continued to walk. Perhaps it was because they had the small fire a moment earlier, but the day seemed colder than the day before. Spring was annoying like that. They didn't see anything living other than a few birds and squirrels as they walked towards the river, but they both knew that several animals as well as several humans used the river as source of water.

Let's follow it upstream." He said as the other way would just lead to the sea, and there was no point in going there.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Umberlee wondered what sounded like a good plan to him, the animal or going up to the river, but she didn't say anything.  She found herself quiet again, which was fine because she really did not have much further to say to him.  She had been nice, so had he.  He had cleaned her goose, without being asked.  She had offered him a kiss instead of yelling at him.  She found the balance between them oddly exhausting.

She and Iwin had found the most fun with the water, as Iwin seemed to take to the water without a care to the temperature.  She too did not seem to mind, and enjoyed the day and the sun.  It sure beat the rain that always seemed to happen too often in Spring.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:40 pm

As he watched Iwin enjoy the water and the way Umberlee enjoyed watching her goose, Marcus found himself wondering if Umberlee would enjoy swimming when the days were warmer again. He at times washed himself in the lake and especially on hot days the water could be very nice, but he was not much of a swimmer.

The idea of the young girl swimming naked... or dressed in something skimpy that would stick to her body when soaked... was strangely enjoyable. Of course Marcus enjoyed the sight and feel of beautiful women, but he expected Umberlee was just over half his age and he made no habit of thinking of such young girls in... such a manner.

He was talking a bit with her about the kinds of fish that lived in the river and some annoying bugs that could cause very much trouble when biting or stinging, when he suddenly went silent. In the distance three men could be seen. Two of them were supporting or carrying a fourth, but it was hard to read what exactly was going on.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:29 pm

Umberlee listened only with half an ear as Marcus tried to inform her on the fish that lived here, and the bugs that came and went.  She nodded of course and found herself just being amused at how he seemed to pride himself on teaching her something.  She did not wish to stop that.  Infact he looked almost cute when he was going off on some useless knowledge and when he grew silent, it took her a moment to clue in.

She scooped up her bird, and walked close to her Knight. "what be going on? Do ye think it be ok?" she asked quietly.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Marcus shook his head. "It sure doesn't look good... They either seem to have trouble with a friend, who perhaps got hurt and can't stand on his feet any more or they could be bandits trying to find a quiet spot for their latest victim." He said as the fourth guy didn't look conscious, at least not from this distance. "Of course the options are so different that their behaviour towards us will be very different too. If they want help, they will be happy to see us. If they are bandits.... they might consider that 3 against 2 are good odds."

He looked at her. "How do you suggest we proceed?" As always there were at least three different options to pick from and he was curious to hear her course of action.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:37 am

Umberlee studied the situation further for a moment and kept close eye on her pet also. She took the lead of her goose, and brought it to a tree, where she let it stay loosely tied against it.  She told him to hush and gave him a small handful of seeds and flowers.  If he really tried he would be able to break free.  She moved to Marcus' side, and she stayed quiet a bit longer.  The group continued to walk, and yet they did so with a way that made it look like they did not hold much care about the one who was not able to walk. "I think it is not a good situation. By the way they pull him along. I think it is a victim. But hopefully it is not one that is dead.  I am thinking they are bandits and that this one put up a fight, one that was too hard to win.  It gives them strengths we do not need to discount.  If we are to interfere, I suggest one of us go and bring surprise to them. One might not bring a threat to them and they might move on after telling us to mind our own.  Of course the other one, is not far, in case anything happens...." she sighed.  "I would mind our own if it wasn't for the fact we are trying to train me to be a Knight.  A knight would offer help to both the incapable and others if needed." she said to him.  "I can go first, a woman alone out here is more asking for trouble though. Most men seem to find it a challenge to find a woman struggle for them." she added.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:45 pm

Marcus nodded and agreed with her view on the situation. If the last guy was a friend of them, they would handle things a lot more careful. "I believe he is still moving..." He said, although with the distance that could also be caused by the way the others dragged him along.

"Judging by where they are, I expect they will rest for a while... and that doesn't promise anything good for their victim. There is only one path to them, the other three sides are impossible to use, they could strike us down with a sword before we were able to get out of the thorns. And it would too clearly show we are headed for them." He said.

In any other season the bushes would have more leaves, making a careful approach possible but now their best shot was to appear lost and trying to find the right path, just happening to stumble upon them. "You will stay back while I approach them..." Marcus said, mostly because he didn't want to put her in real danger.

There were just two problems with that plan: the spear was very obvious and the men wouldn't allow him to come close enough to just one of them. They might be less on guard around just Umberlee... eager to help her and allowing her to come close enough so she could press a knife against ones treasures.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:59 am

Umberlee just looked at him in disbelief for a moment.  "Wait a minute what is this chivalry stuff? Did ye none hear a damn word I spoke, ye nodded..." she argued and wondered what was wrong with the man.  "Yes please, you and your obvious weapon that poses no threat wander up all lost to a bunch o'men.  Seriously Marcus????" she just sighed.  "Here show how much of a knight ye really can be and keep close watch over me, ye know damn well the best course is to allow me to play the lost fawn.  Men are so easily played while distracted by the sight o'flesh.." and with that before him, she simply adjusted the clothing she had, to allow her assets to be displayed proudly and quite noticeably.   "Just dinnae let them get too close.  We will know their means soon enough." she took a deep breath, and looked back at Iwin, who had settled on the floor of the woods quite contentedly. 

With obvious approach to the group of 'men' Umberlee grew further nervous, not in true form of the word, but in action and startle.  All in a play to look completely innocent and completely harmless to the oncoming unknown.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:02 pm

Marcus couldn't deny her points but did press on her that she had to be careful and they agreed on a signal for his rescue move if one was needed.

As the men noticed her, one of them... the one not carrying the fourth man... moved a bit closer to her. Attached to his belt was an impressive looking curved dagger. It was longer than a normal knife but not as long as a sword. "Are you in trouble miss? Would you like something to eat?" The man offered her. "We don't have much, just some bread and a some meat, but we can share."

He didn't sound like a bandit, but at the same time his eyes clearly wandered over her form and a grin stood on his mouth as he did. And of course there was the dagger.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:43 am

Umberlee had made eye contact with everyone. The situation and the tension she felt down her spine, gave her good enough intuition to know that it really wasn't as innocent as they hoped.  She jumped in false startle, and took a step back, which would give the man the idea she was of no concern, and threat to any of them.  She looked nervously for an escape when he spoke, and was quick to respond. "I am not in trouble. .I just... I seem to have lost the path towards town.  I got into a fight with my dad, and...you are kind. I was scared first..." she gave him a smile, a friendly one that too showed him she was perhaps far too innocent to be anything but truthful. "I am not hungry yet but thank'e. What happened to him?" she asked pointing to the one that was being dragged. "I have herbs, would you like me to help your friend? He has some bruises and cuts.  Did he loose a poker game?" she added. 

Still she did not call Marcus, but she did keep her guard up, and she was glad her boots hid her weapon if needed.  Marcus did not even know of that one.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:46 pm

The man eyed her with a grin, clearly liking her innocence and story. "Well, well, what would a girl like you know about a poker game? Your father doesn't take you to a tavern, now does he?" He didn't glance to his 'friend' but kept his eyes on Umberlee... as he was larger than her it was hard to tell if he looked at her face or not, but not was the more likely option.

"Some help would be very appreciated, after that I am sure we can get you in the right direction again. Although I am not too keen on sending you on your way all alone. Perhaps your father will find you here if you stay a bit and else one of us can come with you perhaps." still he sounded nothing like any bandit from any story. Except perhaps those in children's stories about thieves that stole from the rich to give to the poor.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:11 am

Umberlee groaned inward at the comments made, and it only intensified her feeling of uncomfortable cautions.  She ignored most of what this man said, and even while she wasn't directly watching him, she was watching him. "I do not think it is good for my reputation to be out with this many men alone.  Already have enough issues with assumptions in the world." she wasn't sending out as false friendly of a tone as he, but neither was her words filled with her caution.  "What happened to him. I need to know for helping him." she was raised around many lies, so it was fairly easy to tell when one did such.  "I am assuming the right direction is the way I was heading away from, since it was the way you were going and surely you would bring your friend to the hospital as soon as you could correct. Again, how did this happen." she did take a step further away from the largest of them to look closer at the one in question. To see exactly how bad off he was.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:45 pm

She could tell the man was still alive, but he was unconscious and bleeding quite a lot. It wouldn't be surprising if the wound looked a lot like the dagger the man had with him. "No, we just took this spot to have access to water and have some room to lay him down." The man spoke. "We were looking for mushrooms when our friend ran into a boar... and then the boar ran into him." He made up

"He won't make it back to town unless we look after his wounds first." He then said. "So it is a good thing you happened to be around." He added and smirked. "Very lucky men we are."
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:49 am

Umberlee gave him a look that clearly showed she did not believe him.  She smirked. "Fine, you leave him here with me, and I will take care of him.  I have herbs and I will get to making sure he will make it back to town by my care and your arms." she did not yet move.  All the hairs on her neck stood now when he spoke, and what he inferred.  "You are not lucky men, he is a lucky man.  Now go and find some red flower root for me, and you both can go and get some leeches from the water to help with his clots." she waited and watched knowing that they would not be interested in leaving him.  "I will not work with three unknown men hovering me and eyeing me like I am candy... now move it if you want to find him well..." she insisted.  It would not be long before she gave the signal knowing Marcus would be restless watching already.  The story of the boar was clearly a made up one, and she did not wish to find out who was swifter in knife skills, he had advantage with his out in the open already.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:21 pm

"Oh but you would be such tasty candy" The man said with a grin, done with fooling around. He moved closer to her, but didn't go for his dagger. Umberlee didn't look like she would cause much trouble. "She is mine first." He spoke to his mates and moved to grab her. And nothing good would come from it if he succeeded
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:02 am

Umberlee was not at all surprised, so she let out a cry, as well as the signal when the idiot before her made move.  "Why are all men thinking I am something that they can have??" she snapped, and was glad she had taken the step back from him which gave her a moment to bend, retrieve and ready her blade.  

Her knife was smaller then his by much, but it was intricate and unique.  It seemed to fit her palm perfectly and the moment he moved to her she quickly snapped, "I would not do such things if I were you." the smirk on her lips only further irritated him surely, and she added for fun, "You will wish it was a boar that stumbled in and found you if you continue..." she could hear Marcus which gave her a bit of comforts.  She was sure she could get out of this if she got the first hit, but it was a big if....
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:34 pm

With the other man unconscious, he was not something the bandits had to worry about so now all three focused on her. Luckily the trees, bushes and branches protected Umberlee from all of them charging to her, but still she had the large man on one side while the others tried to get behind her.

Marcus was getting closer, quiet enough the men didn't notice him yet until he was almost within range to strike with his spear. Still the odds were not fully in their favour.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:29 am

Only because it would aid her, and only because she was female, she started to holler and scream at the three men.  She wasn't anxious, but guarded, and she knew that it would be easy to capture just her should the three of them play their cards correctly.  But her secret weapon was easily coming, and soon her Knight and his weapon, plus hers would have a good chance of besting them all.  The one she worried most for was the largest one, and the one who had been trying to draw her in.   

When Umberlee noticed Marcus was close enough to help, she made the first move, and went to attempt to disarm the knife from the largest man.  She would be able to fight him perhaps not win, but definitely with the element of surprise she also would have good chance.  In that small window when Marcus made his appearance known, she ducked and lunged towards the brute...
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:11 pm

Soon enough the men noticed that Marcus was coming towards them. "Who is this... your father?" They commented with a chuckle and one of them turned to the knight. The spear wasn't too suited for this kind of terrain but Marcus had enough training with it to be very dangerous. But so were the bandits.

With her location between the men, the other two bandits focused on Umberlee. The brute managed to escape her attack, but couldn't strike her either. It would just be a matter of time before the fight turned more bloody
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:41 am

Umberlee, in any other situation would have chuckled, hell would have laughed a fully bellied laugh at the thought of Marcus being her father.  She did not think he looked that old, nor did she think she looked that young to have it happen.  She rolled her eyes instead at the comment, before having her first attempt to disarm fail.  She groaned a bit, and turned as they mostly focused on her. 

So they were cowards, and they were not the most intelligent creatures, and they were obviously with no regards to human life.  She was growing more intense as the moments went by.

She turned to the two that approached her together, and knew how they would try to best her.  It was common and it was an easy attack to avoid, with simple duck and twist.   So that is what she did, but before they could turn, she managed to drop her leg out and knock one of them in the knees causing him to drop.

Of course she had no idea what Marcus and the other brute were doing, she did not know much at the moment save the fact that, she really wasn't ready to hurt anyone much less kill... but the situation deemed her to make a choice quickly or they would not have a chance to hold advantage.

Umberlee took her knife, and without hesitation, jammed the blade through the upper part of the thugs knee.  He howled in intense pain, and Umberlee felt sick.  She even seemed to mutter an apology of sorts, and it gave a quick distraction for the other man to attack her if he was hoping too.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:38 pm

Seeing how Umberlee hurt his mate, the other bandit grew a bit more careful in his attacks. It made it a bit easier on her to escape his attacks, but made it nearly impossible to strike him in return. The wounded bandit had stayed down, holding his knee, but suddenly Umberlee felt one of his hands around her ankle.

She fell and in no time the other bandit was over her. His dagger, less interesting than that of the leader but very deadly still, ready to strike. He seemed planning on doing exactly that, when suddenly...

Something white and feathery ran past the men and hopped into the water. That was all Iwin did, but still it was enough to distract the bandit long enough for Umberlee to get up again
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:40 am

There was a brief moment she felt paralyzed in fear, when the man and his dagger was above her.  There was a brief moment she wondered not about her life, but about that of her goose, and the unknown relationship between her and Marcus.  Unlike most females, she did not scream, she fought back and when the very goose that she thought about when struggling gave distraction she took full advantage and shoved the guy with a hard boot to his mid thigh.  

Umberlee was able now to readjust her form and be ready and far enough from both the downed man and the one now hell bent on her.  She would not be able to claim she could beat him in strength, but she did have agility on her behalf.  

"Dinnae think for one moment..." she managed before he too lunged at her, and just happened to slash into the flesh of her upper arm.  That made her cry out in more shock then pain, but she turned to return the favour with quick precision.  A sharpness that was unexpected of a woman in the role of young apprentice, it was definitely apparent she had been given much training and skills for holding a blade.

Marcus had his own issues, and she could not even give thought to the warmth of her own blood that streamed down her arm.  It gave her good direction to end this, though she did not seek to end him.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top