A new Squire [Closed to Umberlee]

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A new Squire [Closed to Umberlee]

Post by Marcus on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:45 pm

The man eyed the girl in front of him and then glanced back at the letter she had delivered. "Hmmm... aren't you awfully young to pursue something like this?" He then asked, trying to ignore the fact that she was a girl. "Well... according to this letter you know what you do." Again he looked at her and saw the wounds and scars that the dangerous journey to the Grail Castle had given her. She had survived that and the writer of the letter vouched for her skills.

"Fine, I suggest you travel to the town Camaar and find..." He thought for a moment trying to remember someone that might require a new squire. "Find Marcus Losleo. For the time being you will be his squire." He wondered what had made her decide to follow the Lord's challenge to seek the Grail. Perhaps it was the fame and glory, maybe it was just a need to be away from home. He didn't know and didn't care much. Her old life was over now, how short it may have been. "Good luck" And that was that
Marcus
Seeker

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2014-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: A new Squire [Closed to Umberlee]

Post by Umberlee on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:12 pm

The look on her face changed not once.  Not when he spoke, not when he told her where to go and what to find. Not when she felt like screaming to him, but just as she opened her mouth to do so, he offered her some food. 

At the moment, that very moment her form took over temper, and her body took over mind. She muttered a brief "thank'e" to him and gobbled up the bread, which felt warm, and the small offering of meat.   It was pure heaven. The bronze, the honour, the rest that came with delivering this letter, only paled to compare to the deliriously delicious morsel of meat.  Barely a bite, but her mouth watered and she used the back of her hand to wipe away her drool.  "again thank'e M'Lord I will seek this Marcus and I shall learn from him so that I may...." she was dismissed again and that made the temper course through her veins once again.

Too many times, too many memories danced around on her way back to Camaar.  Too many moments of denial, rejection and purposeful words of malice intent.  Umberlee grew impatient to find the man she would need to accept as mentor.  That alone would be problematic.

The rabbit on the return home did little to her.  This time she was ready, and this time she cried out when it attacked.  Not in pain, but in rage and death scented determination. 

This Marcus Losleo had better be one hell of a Knight if he had hoped to crack through her walls and plates of invisible armor.   Umberlee stood at the gates to enter, and as she did she looked back at the Grail Castle.  For a moment as if to recall a journey already begun her eyes danced with the spirit of a Warrior far greater then this moment could ever capture.  She announced herself and walked towards Wanna's before being distracted by a crowd and their cries for attention from the Grail Lord that sought out Seekers... Perhaps this would be a better path to follow....
Umberlee
Seeker

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2015-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:43 pm

His own squire was one of the last things Marcus cared about these days. He had started his days as always by feeding his little chicken and hoped that the new day would be a good one. So far life as a knight was little interesting. The town held enough knights that all had the best stories.... killing bandits, fighting monsters and of course finding any clues leading to the Grail. 

His stories were of little interest to anyone. He had only become a knight very recently and so far the things in his days had very little to do with gaining honor and fortune. His weapon of choice was the spear, as the knight that had trained him had gained his war experience defending against the cavalry. Of course most people found a sword much more the weapon for a knight.

Being a knight did hold some benefits... he was allowed the gains of a little part of a farmer's field. For him that was wheat and he had learned how to turn it in bread. It was nothing special, mostly the food for the poor but it would serve him. It was hard work, but hard work was a good way to gain muscles. 

Hopefully he would some day become a hell of a knight, although he doubted he would be the one to find the Grail. But there were other ways to serve the realm.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:00 pm

Umberlee had been given a look of disgust and annoyance from the Grail Lord. She was too young, she was too inexperienced, and she lacked decent clothes even!!! Once again her temper had gotten the best of her, and she had given him a piece of her mind and she would not be forgotten by this one for a long time that was to be sure.  The next time he needed someone he wouldn't be looking for her as she would have far better things to do.  She hoped.

Though his words had effected and stayed with her.  She scratched her hair, which was mangled, and dirty and matted to her head.  She did not have fleas!! She snorted and stopped at a nearby window of a merchants store and looked at her reflection.  She had beautiful brown eyes, but they seemed dark with unwritten path and unknown past.  Perhaps had love been hers to grow with, the sparkle children are given at birth would have made her spirit spark now.  She fixed her hair, shifted her rags and looked over her form.  Hrmph. Umberlee grumbled in disapproval.

Strength was something that she held and what perhaps kept her a survivor.  Her passion, was yet fully born, or discovered, but it was surely there even masked in temper and defiance.  She was a young woman, and yet her body held all the makings of a fascinating and gorgeous Lady, had she been born into a different life.  

Kicking some dirt up under her feet, she admired her boots.  They were far from anything spectacular but they were hers, fully earned from defeating the thug.  She smirked.  Nice new boots, gave her a good reason to walk with a swing in her hips, and the further she walked, the further the incident with the Grail Lord was behind her!

As the day went on, and the sun rose higher, she felt more and more frustrated. She had asked at least half a dozen men, farmers, smiths, even a rather good looking archer who this 'Marcus Losleo' was and where he could be found.  Not one person heard of him. Not one person could direct her closer. 

"Bah what sort of Knight have I been tasked to seek.  A Knight of Nothingness, a Knight of Ghosts, Sins and Whispers? Perhaps I have been played a fiddle and fool. " she walked until the tavern and the smell of food and drinks drew her in. 

There she sat in the corner watching carefully as people came in and came out, wondering when every male came through the door if this would be the man she needed to find. 

It was going to be a long night.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:10 pm

She was not the only one that was drawn to the tavern, but there weren't many woman around. The barkeep eyed her a bit suspicious as he was no stranger to thieves that tried to claim a free meal but while she just eyed the door there was no reason to kick her out yet. But even without a reason that moment might come still, depending on how he felt.

Suddenly a drink was placed next to her. "Here you go." The stranger said and sat down with her. Attached to his belt was a sheath that held his sword and while he did not have an armor, the man clearly looked like a knight. He clearly checked her out. The drink was neither beer or wine, but surely held some sort of alcohol. "How much?" He then asked her, loud enough not to come across as shy about enlisting the services of a pro, but with all the sounds in the tavern no one seemed to have noticed.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:30 pm

Umberlee had contemplated the last of her coins for a meal, but that was taken away when there was a drink placed in front of her.  She eye'd the man before her, and was instantly with instinct to know this was not Marcus Losleo.  He appeared as if he was a Knight, yet, a Knight that she would define would hold respect and his eyes, then next his words held very little of that.

Umberlee opened her mouth to snap something sharp and quick, but then closed it again. He did not... Certainly he did not assume she was... But he did.  A quick grin appeared first in her eyes, then settled into seduction upon her lips.  "One more drink and a meal, need to have energy, unless you can't last long enough to make energy worth it." she grinned, wrapped her fingers around the glass, and perhaps to the mans surprise, took the contents down in one swift smooth movement. 

Whiskey.  Beautiful warm, golden whiskey. Dangerous piece of heaven in my veins. She grinned more and even leaned closer to him, willing to play the trick while he agree'd to a meal and another drink. 

Small conversation, awkward conversation was had, his name also given and she was relieved to have been able to trust in her own instincts.  They usually lead her correctly.  Once the full meal was had, she felt as satisfied as he hoped to be shortly, and she grinned and rose. "There is much too many men to share with in here tonight, come follow me.." she even leaned forward and gave this stranger a whiskey kiss against his lips.   Sadly she knew all to well the evils and the temptations of men.  This one was no different.

He followed her between the tavern, and the darkness was a cloak and cover to them both.  The alley between them shared little space, but more then enough to have her gratitude for the food and drinks and this man was soon to find out just how much gratitude she could give.

He bent down, kissing her and she allowed it, so that she could have all she needed within her grasp.  A handful of his flesh was hers to own for the moment- nails embedded deep into him and all; and the cost was a cry of shock and pain inches from her lips. Yet she did not falter,  "I am to thank you for the drinks and meal, and by thanking you, I mean I shall let you keep your flesh, so one day, when you are to find yourself remembering today, remembering in a moment when you walk into the tavern, you will still be able to call yourself a man. It really was good whiskey. So I do thank you sincerely." she smirked now, stepped a little back and yet still held onto him in her tight dangerous grasp. "By the way do you happen to know a Sir Marcus Losleo? I fear he is not far from your circle of friends. Unknown and only Knight by visable robes. You see, how easy it is to misjudge someone from what they wear Sir?" she only grinned.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:12 pm

The man grinned as the girl was willing to his attentions and coin and no problem providing her with another drink and something to eat. Nothing too expensive, but still a quite decent meal for one that had few coins. He kept grinning while waiting for her to finish and then followed her out.

The kiss he gave her suddenly turned in a shocked gasp as the situation changed quite a bit on him. It showed he had been hopeful and in her grasp that hope slowly disappeared. He growled a bit but she held all the cards in her hand and there was little he could do right now.

When her question came it was hard to think and yet at the same time he tried hard to answer her in return for his freedom. "West.... west of the well... just before the wheat field.." He answered her with some difficulty. He wouldn't attack her when she let him go, he would be too happy to get away from this girl and of course didn't need other men to talk about this.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:23 pm

Umberlee grinned, and when he answered she slowly let his flesh go, and she quickly took off not giving him a chance to retaliate or seek further punishments beyond what she could imagine.  She let out a long breath, not once looking back, and when she did not hear footsteps, or hear him cursing her she finally let out the stress filled sigh of relief. Any effects of the whiskey were gone now, and that was a bit disappointing. 

The sun was still kissing the lands, though it would not be doing so for much longer. Sunset was a beautiful gift and this days would be no different.  It took longer then it normally would for her to walk towards the well as she was in no rush to really meet this man that was to be her 'Knight'.  Perhaps it was nerves, perhaps it was other, perhaps it was simply the lack of desire to be serving another and to have a role subservient that made her lack the passion and quickness to seek him further. 

There was of course, doubt that the man who had so generously given her drinks and food was not speaking truths, but she was quite sure he was honest with her as at the moment as they had shared quite the intimate moment.. and couples in such moments always were honest were they not???

Finally she made it to the well, and just a little more walking would have her at the wheat field.  She wanted to take a moment to make her appearance seem with effort, though she really wasn't able to do much.  The wells water was frigid and refreshing, and she made sure her hair had completely been cleaned with the water from it.  Her face, and hands as well.  There was no option to clean her rags, as she couldn't very well stand here naked to do so, instead she smacked the fabrics a bit to take most noticeable dust and dirt away.  

She looked incredibly good considering, not that she held the confidence to believe so.  Refreshed and with far more effort then she put in for anyone else.. well ever, she continued on towards the wheat fields, hoping she would see someone, or someone would see her.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:09 am

Marcus was still sitting on a little stool in front of his house. He had used the last hours of his days to finish making a nice fishing rod and some other tools to help him fishing. Not that he had ever fished, but eating bread all the time would get boring and most projects to cook something else hadn't ended well. His spear was placed against the wall of his home. He didn't expect any trouble but he was a knight and was supposed to have his weapon close.

He was just about to go inside and call it a night when he saw someone in the street. It was a young woman and he mostly noticed her because she walked alone. Not the safest thing to do even within the city walls as there were always people that meant harm... bodily or financially. So he stayed sitting on the stool and watched her making sure that no harm would come to her while she was near his house.

To his surprise his house seemed to be the destination of her walk. He didn't expect guests and certainly not strangers. "Good evening, can I help you?"
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:20 pm

Umberlee had felt him and seen him watching her and she had done the same as she walked even closer to his property line.  When she was near enough she narrowed her eyes, and almost boldly stared directly at him when he asked if he could help.  First impressions always lasted forever, so Umberlee made sure to smile a warm smile and walk a confident walk towards him.  She saw what he was doing, and she looked at his surroundings. "Hello, aye perhaps you can, You see I am Umberlee and I have been sent to find a Knight called Marcus Losleo..." she was not sure what she felt of him but she was surprised to find herself a little nervous.  That was an emotion she was not used to feeling, and this one crept very sneakily into her stomach as she walked towards the man.  She explained who sent her, and she stood now as if she felt she was a prize pig to be auctioned for slaughter....
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:21 pm

The name Umberlee didn't ring a bell, so he studied her to see if he could find out why she was here. At least he wasn't old enough to be her father and he still remembered all the women he had been with as there hadn't been many, so that was one scare he didn't have to worry about. "I am Marcus Losleo... How can I help you?" Of course there were enough reasons why a local girl could need his help... so far most of his 'duty' had been to catch a run away animal. The more challenging tasks were mainly given to the more experienced knights.

It was hard to place her. She wasn't dressed as a noble girl, but at the same time there was something about her that seemed very out of place. At least compared to the women he knew. But then again... most women were strange and complicated to him.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:50 pm

Umberlee studied him further, in seconds really, tilting her head and noticing much and yet noticing nothing all at once. "Ye be a Knight? Ye be the Knight which I am seek..." there was a way she twisted her nose almost that made Marcus understand she was not at all pleased with this idea.  "I am Umberlee McNorgriff I am te be yer Squire..." she groaned a bit, and then stepped forward, smiled a fairly beautiful smile, though it was forced and extended her hand.  "Is this where ye live? I thought Knights were given lands and graced with gifts beyond what I have e'er been able to imagine. I mean, dinnae get me wrong, but ye dun look quite like a Knight te me Sir Losleo." she grinned more, and stood proud, her eyes managed to dance with innocence and mischief all at once.  "What are ye making? Ye like te fish?" she bit her lower lip now and looked at him, "Were ye none expecting a Squire or something? The way the man spoke I simply had te find ye, and that would be that.. ye look quite much like I am a surprise.." she took a step back now, and fiddled with her still damp hair.  "Tur-rah..." she said doing a little wiggle and dance.  "Surprise!"
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:33 pm

Marcus rolled his eyes as she informed him she was to be his squire and the expectations she held. Great, some girl that just wanted to become a knight with the expectations of glamour and riches. He really had no use for a squire, but sadly that was not really his call. Not right away at least, at first knights and squires were supposed to try to get along. If after a few weeks or few months they really didn't want to be together he could try to get her to be someone else's problem. Or perhaps by that time she would understand that being a knight or a squire really weren't such amazing things as they were in stories.

He might not have said a thing so far, his face said enough to her. Her 'Tur-rah' didn't not help his view of her at all and he feared the coming days would be very long ones. "There are more knights than lands and castles in this realm. So it would be rather difficult to give every knight his own lands. Based on experience and accomplishments one gains rewards." He told her and tried to figure out what use a squire had to him. "Do you have a place to sleep here in town?" He asked her. His cottage was just little and it would be difficult to find her a room of her own. Most knights and squires did share one house
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:55 pm

Umberlee groaned inside.  These were going to be long endless days, and nights with this Knight.  That thought amused her and she was already letting her mind wander while he spoke. She really did not want to be trained by some nobody Knight, as what could he really offer her. A chain was only as strong as its weakest link, and well she was not remaining weak for all her days.

"Based on experience and accomplishments... aye.. okay then." she looked around at his home which was indeed quite an accomplishment in itself to make it look like it could even be called a home.  "Well I dinnae have my own house quite like this, I am not some great accomplished Knight like yourself, so nae, I have not this grand residence as ye have Sir Marcus Losleo." she couldn't deny the snear that came over her lips as she continued. "As your expressions share mine, we have a common ground te start. Ye dinnae want some homeless gi...woman that views Knights as these great heros and rich champions aye? And I dinnae want some Knight that seemed virtually unknown throughout the town when I started searching for him. So volia we dinnae want each other, we dinnae have te like each other, we just have te deal with it. So I suggest, ye and I come te the agreement that if ye have something ye can possibly teach me, I have something I could possibly surprise ye with." she would not be made to feel smaller then she already made her feel herself. If that was even possible.

A tension filled moment drew over them both, just a few seconds really, and she sighed, "Ye know, if ye put two hooks together, instead o'just one, yer double yer chances. Ye put a wee worm on it, and it squirms like a snake in the fields and volia ye be eating like the King o'The Grail himself for a week!" she walked right by him, like it had been her house instead of his, and picked up two hooks and tied them to show him.  "I make the best fish ye have ev'er had. I dinnae have patience te fish, but I love te cook..." she hoped he would say something..anything positive rather then breaking her determined attempt to make the moment a little better.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Marcus watched as his new squire adjusted the fishing rod and had to agree that it made sense. And when she said that she knew how to cook... well, not exactly that, she said that she loved to cook but he hoped that meant she knew how to do it, he smiled. "Thank you for your help, I am sure this will help much. I have some bread you can eat now if you still need to eat, maybe tomorrow we can find ingredients for something better."

He tried to figure out where she could sleep this night as he only had one bed and only one set of sheets. "You can use my bed tonight, I can sleep on the floor. Hopefully we can get you something soon."
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:55 pm

Well it was something. He had smiled. It was a start.  She had been happy when he seemed pleased and it was those little tiny moments she most enjoyed.  Those were rare. Those moments where she did something right, and it held a hope there would be even more right to come.  Her shoulders seemed to relax a little, and her spark seemed to fizzle. No where near die, for it would always burn one way or another, but the pressure of first moments had passed and they both survived.  

She had wanted to decline the bed, but she had not had a bed in a very long time.  Outside, near barns or down alleys hiding in the darkness, and at times some very rare times in Church, though she really did not like how they would pester her to become a follower.  She really did not have a place to call home and had not had a place in a long long time.  There had been roofs over her head, and even a room to her own but it was not home.  

Home was an achievement and a far distant dream.  Home, a place with laughter, warmth, joys and love was something that held a goal far beyond the grail, far beyond golds.  Perhaps one day, but she was not foolish enough to dream such dreams.

Umberlee had only nodded, and waited for him to first give her further welcome into the place he called home.  It really was very small, but it was a palace compared to her belongings.  The walls were very boring, and she noted, though it was clean to the eye, it was very dirty and needed attentions.  "I... I would love te use yer bed, but I am in much need of a bath, and since I see none here, I would none wish te dirty yer sheets... the floor perhaps is much better for me this day, and if tomorrow comes with chance, we can both have a bath, I will fetch water, and if'n ye can start a fire we can even have warm..." she suddenly felt nervous again, and backed up as close to the wall as she could get.  She fiddled loosely with the fabrics of her rags, and fumbled. "I too have had a meal, a good meal this day, I was at the tavern, and there was a man, he thought I was a woman o'the night... so I earned my meal... but none the way ye think...." she blushed and flustered further. "I... I am none so.. I am still very much untouched and he will be wishing come the morrow he could claim the same.  I am not a little mouse, though I am as nervous as one here now..." she too admitted, and it was rare for her to offer so much.  But he had offered her his very own bed, and she gifted him in return, though perhaps it was far from a gift to him.

"I can stay out of your way, and earn my keep. I can do cleaning, and I do cook.  I cook very well.  I can sew, but I have not had means to earn fabrics or threads.  I do not come with anything more then what I am and I am very willing te learn." she looked up at him and found herself a little intimidated but would not show it for all the riches of the kingdom.   There were reasons she found herself so, but those were reasons she would keep to herself for now.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Marcus looked shocked as he heard her speak about the situation she had 'earned' her meal and was happy to hear things had apparently gone another way that it sounded. Then he felt bad that she had to experience something like that, it was one of the reasons he didn't enjoy the taverns much. Of course he knew that some women saw no other way than to use their body to survive, but he was happy she was not one of them.

At the same time he was still not very happy with having to share his place with her and to now have to find some use for his squire. But those things could wait till morning. "Just use the bed tonight, I will just have you wash the sheets tomorrow." He half joked, but realized it most likely would go that way. "Do you have any experience with weapons?" He then asked, although he planned not to ask too much and just sleep now. Tomorrow they could figure out how to proceed
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:29 am

Umberlee could feel he was not looking forward to the intrusion and company.  She hated the way that made her feel.  She really wanted to feel the comforts of a bed, in the worst way. It had been a really awful day when she looked at the moments passed.  Her wounds still were freshly healing and tender and even sore in some spots.  Her body was exhausted and drained from the rush and drop of that rush earlier.  She felt tired, and she felt heavy.

"I know the use of knives, I have no other experience.  I have interest in the bow and interest in swords. But I find they are very heavy and right now I could none hold one te save my life or yers." she said coolly.

Umberlee wanted to leave.  He was not hiding his thoughts too well about feeling put out about having her here in his home.  She tossed the idea around for a moment about leaving and sleeping on the streets as it would be more a welcome then he seemed to have for her.  Not that she expected much more, and he did offer her his bed.... but still at times the unspoken could speak louder then the spoken word and she felt very much uncomfortable here.  

There was a pillow, and sheets, and a small single bed that screamed welcome to her, and she moved towards it, quietly and sat down.  Her boots, were removed, before she brought her feet up, and she placed them at the side of the bed.  Suddenly she felt even more exposed, and nervous, and she quickly turned on her side offering him a view of her back as she curled up and stared at the wall.  

It was only moments later he could hear her breathing had calmed, and her form relaxed.  She had fallen quick to sleep, and deep into it as well.  The sweetness of a bed far to irresistible for her to ignore.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:22 pm

Marcus couldn't help but watch her as she got ready to get into his bed. Not that she was that interesting... she was a girl, perhaps a pretty one but not someone he would turn his head for on the streets. Of course there weren't many woman that affected him. When she turned he realized he had been staring and laid down on the floor. He wondered how many knights would sleep on the floor for their squires... without any sort of sheets or a pillow. He really needed to find a fix for this.

He heard Umberlee had gone to sleep without problem and tried to do the same.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:24 am

Umberlee might have found sleep quickly and soundly, but the fact remained she was not with full comforts of peace.  She stirred a lot, and at times muttered gently in her sleep.  Rarely did she find sleep a restful and productive means and though this day had sweet bonus of a bed, she still had a restless mind.

She woke, almost startled just before the sun.  She opened her eyes quickly not first recognizing where she was. She sat up, and turned noting that Marcus had slept on the floor without pillow, without sheets.  She had taken his bed, and taken the comforts with them on top of it.  For a moment she felt guilt, but then she thought that is what Knights do.  They help those less fortunate.  As she woke, she considered that thought, and she laid back down letting her mind focus on such lesson even further.  

She had very little.  But she still had much more then most.  She had her spirit and she had a healthy strong heart.  She had a good heart, that was genuine.  She had rags to cover her body, no they were not gowns, or even fresh fabrics, but she had enough to make things hidden.  Tonight had been a blessing, to be able to sleep with a roof.  To be able to sleep in a bed, though so small and so hard, it was still a bed.

She sat up, and took the blanket putting it over Marcus.  Surely he heard her, even when she attempted to be quiet.  She did not know his house well enough to begin heating water for tea.  She did not know where anything was.

As the morning drew closer to the realm, she simply left his house, found a bucket, and started the trek towards the stream where fresh water could be found for their bath.  She would see to the tub being filled and also a barrel to do the laundry in.  Perhaps Marcus had a shirt she could borrow while she washed her thin clothing... 

She had seen her mother enough times to know she could handle this chore, but in truth it would be the very first time Umberlee had done laundry on her own.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:23 pm

Marcus woke up as Umberlee left the little cottage. His muscles were feeling stiff from the hours on the ground so he stood up and tried to relax them a bit. He realized that Umberlee had most likely gone to get water for a bath so he decided to give some thought to their meal later today.

He had been rather short with Umberlee and he felt bad about that some so he planned to get something good for today. Marcus then remembered that he had seen a goose nearby the other day and that would make a nice meal. So he left the cottage as well and by the time he saw Umberlee again he was already chasing the goose. It was running quite quickly even but then it bumped into Umberlee and Marcus was sure the goose chase was over now.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:22 pm

Umberlee had found herself skipping stones and daydreaming for a short while by the stream.  It was very easy to be lost in the constant flowing and free feelings that the stream brought over her.  She relaxed very much just watching the dancing movement of the water as it swirled on by, never to be the same again.  Every changing, ever adapting and ever reliable.  She had taken a few drinks of the water before filling the bucket. It would take a few trips back and forth, and it would be harder each time, but that wasn't her concern.

Her concern was the sweet grayish looking squawking bird that crashed into her leg.  She put the bucket down, as it seemed to almost be stunned and judging by the sting of her leg she could understand why. She bent down, and picked up the fairly young bird and snuggled it close, instantly concerned for its well being.  It was just a few more seconds that went by before the bird began its squawking again, and squirming in her arms.  

A few gentle sounds, and a soft touch down over its long neck and to the back of the feathers had the bird instantly quiet and calm.  She knelt down, still keeping the little bird wrapped close to her form.  She smiled and looked up at Marcus and her heart warmed dearly to the little grey ball of fluff and she said, "Is he none the cutest ever? He must have been spooked by something te run so chaotic and hard inte me.  The poor wee thing.  Something this young, should still be with his mother still, but I see none.  I wonder where the rest of his family is."

She put the bird down, stood up and picked up the bucket again.  "I was fixing te get yer tub filled, if ye would like te get it started with the hot rocks, we could have a bath by high noon." she offered and as she went to walk away, as if it had sensed it was with one shot to live, the little bird followed.

She smirked as she heard it squawk softer a coo almost and heard it follow her.  She grew almost excited as the bird had been to find that indeed it was following her.   "Oh goodness!!!! What are you doing? I am grey and dirty yes, but I am not your Mother!!" she looked so young, and so full of joy from this little moment it was hard to not smile if you were to witness it.  

Then, just as quickly as she had been knocked into, her eyes narrowed and she looked at Marcus. "YOU!!!!" she hissed, and she stormed towards him, her new found friend right behind her, with his head long and beak upwards. "YOU!!!! Ye were going te catch the bloody thing and ye were going te hurt it!! Deny it none!!!!! I cannot believe you would consider.. are you not a.... MARCUS you are a KNIGHT!! What knight would hurt a helpless... sweet and YOUNG.... You are a monster!!!!!!" she took the bucket of water, the first of the day and she tossed it at him, without giving him any chance to understand what had happened before he was soaked head to toe in water.  

She turned, dropped the bucket picked up the little gander into her arms, and walked right into Marcus' home, and onto the bed.  As for all it could be claimed it was the only spot she could call even temporarily 'hers'  

By time Marcus recovered from the shock of what had just transpired, if he had gone after his Squire, he would find her, cuddling the goose and promising that nothing would happen to it if she had anything to say about it.
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:33 am

Marcus opened his mouth to say something, but before he had the chance, Umberlee had emptied the bucket of water over him. It took him a little while to figure out what had been happening, but then he went to his cottage where he found his new, and very annoying, squire. He watched her on the bed with the goose and slightly shook his head. "It is a young animal without a mother. It will just starve and die." He explained to her. 

"You said you liked to cook, I am sure you can make us a nice meal for supper?" He then continued to make the situation even worse. She had to understand that animals were meant to be eaten. Now that they had the animal indoors, it wouldn't be too hard to kill it.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Umberlee on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:45 pm

Umberlee just glared at him.  She just glared as he spoke, and she just glared as he upset her further.  She held the goose on her lap, and it seemed to understand she was protecting it.  It did not move it did not squawk.  "Who are ye to assume it will die? Who are you to assume it has no mother? Who are you to assume it is a animal that will starve?  You sure seem to think ye know it all Marcus!!! Do they not teach you how to be compassionate as a Knight? To look upon something helpless and offer it as much hope as one can?  Yet you are selfishly putting yer own hunger and needs above this innocent birds life!!!  It will none starve and die, I would rather see a heartless animal like you starve and die!!!" she stood now and left the bird on the bed, and challenged him by stepping near his face and right close against him.  "I am a young woman and you know not if I have a mother or anything more.  Yet here I am, none dead and none starving!!!! Not all animals can be made into food, and not all men seem te be able te be made inte KNIGHTS!" it was quite a passionate plea, she offered him, and her spirit was definitely something no one could break.  

"I do like te cook and if ye will be demanding me te do so it will be with ingredients and foods that I agree te use, and I do NONE agree te use my GOOSE!" she was very sure of that, and she stared at him with tears welled up in her eyes.  It was very sincere tears and she did not like the brief moment of rawness she offered him.

She picked up the goose, and hugged him close.  "Let me keep him, please he is none even fully grown and in obvious need of someone or something te love him." she had spoken quieter then before. "Not every living thing needs to be made into a meal." she
Umberlee
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:15 pm

It was weird to see someone so passionate about a wild animal that served so very little use in the world. Marcus was clearly shocked when he heard her say that she rather saw him starve and die. He opened his mouth to speak, but closed it a moment later as she continued. "It is an animal and most animals are meant to be eaten. I know that its mother isn't around, as I have seen it wandering here alone for a few days. And it clearly is starving, just look at how skinny it is." He said. 

"And if it was my selfish hunger that was the reason for my desire to see it dead than I would have killed it days ago. You look like you can use a good meal and while the goose is just skinny, it is meat and there is nothing better to regain your strength than eating meat." He continued, having no idea how the two of them were going to live together if she truly wanted him to die. Most knights might not care about what their squires thought and said, but he was different and her comment really had hit him.

"Fine, if you want to be its mother, go ahead. Do you even know what a wild goose eats? I won't help you with it and don't be surprised if it still dies within a few days." He then gave in to her. After all he had been meaning to catch it for her sake. But well, if she wasn't starving and rather saved the goose than ate it, so be it.
Marcus
Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top